Me and Axie needs your knowlage

A

aksis

Hello everyone..
The situation im in is like so:

I've bought a cute little axie, and for my stupidity I have listen to the shop salesman that its easy to keep them and they dont require any perticular keeping and so on, and stupid me believed it :/
Now that was few days ago. I putted him in to a 40 liter tank, with freshly made enviroment (I havent used the tank since I was a child..).
Then I started searching web for info about axies, and I found out all about the CYCLES, FILTERS and so on, and I became scared not knowing what to do, becouse at the shop, everything was said differently. Now I not blaiming them, it all my fault.

So now hes been it that tank for 3 days, I bought him a light filter so that there would be big water flow, but I cant get the CYCLE thing from my head. WHAT shoult I do, I have no where to put the axie, while the tank cycles, esapecially for 6 weeks, its my only tank, ant those nitite, nitate checking things cost a lot.
Although the axie seems normal in the tank im keeping and eats a lot
happy.gif
But still what do you suggest to do. Will the tank cycle itself without damaging the axie, maybe someone hat a similar situation? :/

Can you afford to buy/get one test for the ammonia?

If you can't afford any of the test kits, then the best you can do is every day you must change your tank water - take out 30% of the water so that it is safe for your axie to live in.

Find out if your petshop will test your tankwater for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. Maybe he will do it for free or a small price.

As long as you do the daily 30% waterchanges your tank will cycle with your axie in it.

Is the flow on your water filter very fast/strong? Axies do not like too much current/strong water flow as it will stress him. If you have a strong filter flow then try and turn it down so its slower or tie something around the outlet (where the water rushes out) so the flow is softer and not so stressful for your axie.

Welcome to the forum! :D

Thanks for an advise, I really appreciate it.
About the test, I'll see what i can do, maybe tomorrow ill go to the petshop and ask them about the tests..
About the filter,when I was looking for it, I kept in mind not to make the waterflow, so I didnt made a mistake this time
happy.gif

Thanks again

Apart from the tests don't buy anything that will "cycle" your tank fast or "fix the ammonia or nitrite". The daily 30% partial waterchanges are far better than adding any other chemicals (apart from a water conditioner/ager that removes chlorine and chloramines from tapwater).

Good luck :D

And I hope you are using dechlorinator in your tank. Good luck
happy.gif

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back