Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Ahh

D

daniel

hey i just bought orange gravel
and ever since my axie has been rlly sluggish and unreactive
he stayes in the same place all day and night. i happnd to see him eat a piece og gravel but lukily spat it out...why is my brutus soo wierd..lol help

D

denise

your axie isnt weird just normal, he doesnt know its gravel and he shouldnt eat it, i know you just bought it and you probably dont want to read this but get rid of it, why not buy orange sand instead, your axie may never stop eating it and could die from eating gravel, its not worth losing an axie. i hope this helps your question

D

daniel

okay i have heard this a million times , the pet shop owner told me it would be okay tho, and the gravel pieces are the size of penuts..i can change it but i want to know why he is constantly in the corner

ravenous

Reaction score
he probably feels safer in the corner. have you got a cave to go in? if not you should think about giving him somewhere to hide.

pet shops often give you the advice that makes them money. you should research for yourself what is safe and what is not. anything bigger than sand can cause nasty complications with an axies digestive system. My axie was still passing gravel 7 months after putting him on sand, thats how bad it can be. I was lucky that it didnt cause any major illness or problems.

D

denise

ask the pet shop how long they have had axies for sale, i'll bet that they just started selling them because they could make some money due to them becoming popular, give the petshop the name of this website and tell them to research what they are selling. if you have heard this a million times then why get gravel. like dan says your axie probably feels safe in the corner, all 4 of mine have favourite spots in the tank that they hang out in, sometimes were the tank is positioned in a room can also affect them, is your tank in a quiet room say the bedroom or in a busy walkway or loungeroom, this may also be something to consider, hope this helps

D

denise

ohh and daniel you mentioned that your axie is sluggish and unreactive, if he has only been like this since the change to orange gravel then it might be the colour from the gravel. did you wash your gravel before putting it in the tank, i have purple gravel in one of my other tanks and i had to soak it until it stop leaching purple colour into the tank water, if i didnt then i would have poisened my fish with the colour dye from the gravel

D

daniel

he seemes to be more active, and i think the gravel is gonna be fine because he gets fed food that is dropped in from above. i rised the gravel 5 times and i also think the sluggishness is because of the temperature. the aquarium is on the floor and it is winter and the water is freezing. I am getting aq stand to that might be the thing

D

denise

or maybe a heater would be good and be careful with that gravel, i have read to many posts on this forum about axies becoming very ill or dying because they thought gravel was okay, but good luck anyway. you should post a picture of you tank with the new substrate, would be interesting to see the colour

C

callum

Im in the same situation but my axie is fine, my gravels only a few mm but if this will harm him i will replace it asap. The gravel is new also and can u tell me if this might be ok or not?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1