Anyone ever used an internal UV sterilizer??

M

mary

Hi there, has anyone ever heard of such a thing?
I was talking to someone who uses this apparatus for their fish ( non-tropical)- apparently it helps control bacteria, yeast and algae....??? and i am still suffering from a green tank....

i think this would probably kill all bacteria including the ones you want in your tank.

I have used UV autoclaves in the past for medical equipment and they kill everything organic so i would also be slightly worried about the health of your animals

yes it does sound evil- i guess fishes needs are different to axies re tank cycling etc...

Mary, have you moved your tank at all from the window and heat source. I remember you saying it was near one. Also, if you have daphnia, these are great little cleaners that eat the green stuff in the water and will help clear it up (I had to put some in my sister's tank today as I thought I was being helpful, opened up her curtains for a few days, forgetting to close them and her poor axie tanks started going green - that combined with the heat we've been having. I don't think she'd appreciate coming home this weekend to green tanks! So curtains are once again shut, partial waterchanges daily until Saturday and daphnia having a wonderful time feeding (the adult axies aren't interested in little things zipping round their tank!) So much I've learned since getting my axies, all for the better of course! :D

If you're concerned about your water quality/cycling and don't have the kits, if you have to buy one, buy the ammonia one first. Otherwise if you find yu don't have time to test it just take a sample of tankwater and ask the petshop to do it and give you the readings , once or twice a week if you're concerned.

Hi there- thanks for the comments! we actually had a bucket of daphnia outside when the axie baby was tiny- but the darn daphnia's have gone!!- there is nowhere more suitable to move the axie family but i am trying to keep the artificial light switched off and lowered the nets-
the petshop here in upper hutt do the testing for only $3- mind u i decided if the levels are wrong it could involve alot of retesting and that it would be better to do it yourself!(by the way you are not looking after Kapo's Axie family?)

Gosh, our the petshops don't charge to test. Have you considered buying one of the kits off TM, much cheaper than petshops. Yes I am looking after Kapo's axies.

I got my daphnia from a fishbreeder in the Hutt (not sure where as he couriered it), but should be close by to you.

Kapo is so helpful- and i remembered her saying she was going away- i have missed her!!! and you have been really helpful too! have you got your own axie family?
We know one guy in U/Hutt who sells Daphnia ( from Trademe- he has the most amazing set-up- tropical fishies- no axies tho.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back