Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Water levels all gone to pot!!

A

adam

I don't understand whats happening!
I have just checked stevie boy's water and his levels are all over the place!
amonia 0
nitrite 0.25
nitrate 75

i've just done a water change.
Recently removed a plant that was starting to die and also took some river stones out.

His levels have been stable for months untill now.

Anyone know why this might be happening?
Or any suggestions on how to sort it out?

K

karrie

Is it cycle again maybe? Did you do any thing to the filter? Did you take the plant out before or after you noticed the levels?

heihei

Reaction score
could also have been the removal of riverstones, which would have contained the good bacteria, which is why it might be going through a cycle? How big a waterchange did you do. The nitrate seems high tho. Maybe try to do a few daily 10-20% waterchanges. What did you replace the riverstones with?

J

jennifer

The high nitrate is normal for a cycled tank. The amount of nitrite is small, not enough to be harmful. It suggests that you may have had a mini-cycle. The dieing plant probably released a bunch of extra nutrients into the water, that could be part of it. Doesn't sound like a big problem, hehei's advice is what I would say - a few extra water changes and you'll be fine.

A

adam

I had changed half the filter pads about 3 weeks ago. left some old ones in so there was still some bacteria, hoping that it would soon spread.
i removed the river stones the day before i checked the water. would it effect the tank that quickly?
I will continue doing small water changes daily, hopefully it'll sort it out.

on the plus side, since i removed the plant the little white worm things that were on the inside of the tank have gone and the slick on the surface has gone!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1