Permanent sand substrate

J

jennifer

Here is my latest nutty idea: avoid sand-related problems by sticking the sand to the bottom of the tank. Easy to clean (for us), easy to walk on (for the animals), and impossible to ingest (by either of us
crazy.gif
). Details posted here:
http://www.caudata.org/people/JM/sand.html

Wouldn't that make some sort of "sand paper" our of the bottom?

I think it's a great idea too! I was going to silicone some pebbles to bottom of one of my tanks which I'd read someone had done to their tank somewhere in this forum; but I think I'll try and do one with pebbles and other sand.

wow smart idea. I might even try doing this over the ceramic cave so that they have something to grip onto at the top of it.

so do u think this could be ok for frogs and stuff as well and most amphibians in water
happy.gif
and i must say this is a good idea

I guess if having a rough surface is a concern, one could use small smooth pebbles instead. I hadn't thought about the "sandpaper" aspect.

I think that it is a great idea. I shouldn't worry them as sand is always rough anyway and they don't seem to care. Good job
happy.gif

perhaps you could sprinkle a little more unglued sand to remove the sand paper effect, but then the sand could still be eaten but yeah, only a little would be needed

Really, almost ANY tank-safe material could be used in place of the sand: peat moss, coconut fiber, aquarium charcoal/carbon, terrarium felt/carpet, etc. Basically, any animal-safe substance that is the desired color. Also, I'm thinking that the sand could be mixed with the glue before applying, thus coating most of the grains. This would be messier, but maybe better.

great finding jennifer, i am going to use this in my cunningham skinks habitat, its such a simple idea and very affective

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back