Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

New home!

N

nora

I'm really interested in this aquarium..

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/AQUARIUM-4FT-COST-900-EHEIM-ALL-INCLUDED-MUST-GO-PERTH_W0QQitemZ320062613869QQihZ011QQcategoryZ20755QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

It's a reasonable price and is the same style I was looking for. I like the light attatchment on top. It's a 4 foot tank and should be great for Gonnie- But do you think I could add another Axolotl or two? I'd cycle it before adding them (of course!). I didn't cycle the tank Gonz is in now, and he's fine. (It's a 2 foot). What does cycling mean and how do I do it?

But yeah, do you think a pair of axies would be alright in there? I'm interested in a wild type and maybe a black, but I like all the colours.
happy.gif
I know a garden center that sells really nice, healthy axolotls. Gonz is on gravel right now and the new tank would have sand, as well as a couple of air stones (I saw some in a bar shape that I'd put along the back of the tank on the other end of the filter (so both ends would get some oxygen if you get me!) and maybe a circular one... I dunno!

I could put my 2 fantails in the tank to help cycling, (I've heard of someone using a goldfish for that, I think it was cori, I dunno how that helps but it sounds like a good idea whatever it does!) and then pop them back into their tank after.

It comes with lots of accessories so it's pretty much worth it- Opinions?

D

denise

hi nora
the tank is nice but i wouldnt go on what the seller says everything is worth, what you need to do is price what you would need against bidding for this tank, i have a 4ft tank with 4 axies in and they have plenty of room. dont put goldfish in a tank while cycling it that is just cruel, you could burn them when the ammonia gets high, i put a raw prawn in my tank and it only took 2 weeks to cycle, you can find out about cycling your tank at http://www.axolotl.org/

N

natashja

hey nora
i most agree with denise dont let the fantails stay in the tank as you cykel it they will develope finrot and most likely die, but you can use them to start the cykel by letting them stay in the tank for a day or two at most, to produce vaste.

C

cori

Actually, I did a bit of research and because the tank is so large and I am doing tank changes the gold-fish are fine.

I would not intentionally hurt an animal!

I have also added some aloe vera to help the fish.
The tank is coming along nicely and the gold fish seem happy & healthy.

Gold-fish also produce a fair amount of waste which should be helping my bacteria population.

Better for the gold fish to be where they are than in with my axie's!

Regards Eastern_axle

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!