Is my tank big enough for two?

M

mark

74678.jpg

Do you think my tank could harmlessly house two axies? It measures 60cm x 40cm x 30cm.

I think my axie would benefit from having some company but I can't justify buying a new tank so soon. (This one is 6 weeks old)

What do you think folks?

yup thats a fine size, but im no expert so wait for more replies

It should be ok but I wouldn't keep them in there too long, axie's do get quiet big!
Also you would have to pay careful attention to water quality, being such a small space it would become polluted quiet quickly.
Might be an idea to wait until you get a new tank, keep an eye out for cheap tanks on places like Ebay. I picked up my 4ft tank for $50, so it really pays to shop around.

Regards Eastern_axle

(Message edited by eastern_axle on December 14, 2006)

I approve/*thumbs up*

but bigger is always better!

my axolotl seems to be a whole lot happier since I got him a little pink friend, and then some shrimp and then 2 spotted friends. My axolotls like to hug each other.

maxmimum 2 axies for that tank.

General rule of thumb is 30 cm of tank length per axolotl resident. Axolotls can reach lengths of 30cm themselves, so this must be kept in mind.

When you wrote that the tank was 60cm by 40cm by 30cm did you mean 60cm long, 40cm wide & 30cm high or 60cm long, 30cm wide & 40cm high?

(Message edited by gilly on December 16, 2006)

generally people report in L x W x H format. It looks like a standard 2 foot tank.

It is LxWxH. I'm just a little nervous putting a second axie in there as I don;t want to cause Powder any problems. But I really want a second one, and I think Powder would like a friend.

Decisions, decisions...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back