Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Filter died

K

karrie

I got up today and my filter quiet some time last night any ideas what kind to get next? Or not to get. Thanks for the help

A

amber

I quite like using the interpet internal powerfilter range for axolotl tanks.

For my 2 footer I use a PF2, I would reccommend a 3 for your size.
It's got a full media range, and I've not had one keel on me yet, they're nice and simple!

Plenty of different media too
happy.gif

M

matthew

I wouldnt recommend getting a waterfall filter; they're bollocks! Mine died on me and my 2ft tank back in october, and I ended up getting a Fluval Plus1 - and under water filter that stuck to the side of the tank. It's kind of a trip though; its so silent, that you think it isnt working - the only way I could tell it was working was by feeling the outflow current, lol.

K

karrie

Yeah I had a water fall filter. I agree. At the risk of sounding like a dork are you guys talking about the same kind?

M

matthew

Nah, Amber refers to an Interpet filter. I'm referring to a Fluval filter (It's all brand names really when all said and done). For your sized tank, a 20 gallon tank, I'd look into the Fluval 2 Plus.

Here's a link for you to see the product for yourself :p

http://www.aquariumguys.com/fluvalinternal1.html

A

amber

Very similar filters though.
The Interpet range come with a flowcone, you can direct the water up, out and side so it comes down the wall for extra aeration and less disturbance.

It's got a venturi system, biomedia unit, carbon and plain sponges, option to put fine filter pads in, adjustable flow AND an anti backflow valve!

Dead easy to maintain, as all the sponge media are in a cradle, you just lift em out.

The only problem I had was when I took it apart to clean the impeller chamber (once every few months, just squiggle a finger in and wipe the blades too) and my giant snail made off with the rubber support cap for the impeller post.

I got it back eventually, but in the meantime I repaired (bodged in other words) a new support cap with a chunky elastic band chopped up and threaded on.

They're lovely and quiet too, all you can normally hear is the splosh of water.

Don't bother with the PF1 for smaller tanks though, unless you have a bag of biomedia to go in. I put some Eheim Substrat balls in my PF1 in the snailtank, and it works superbly now.

K

karrie

Ok I got a Fuval 2 Plus last night. I aslo bought the carbon to add with it. My next question is were should I put it in tank? On the bottom pointed up, or on the side pointed out??? Should I block the out put. Do I need to worry about cracker getting caught in the intake part???

M

matthew

Put it on the side. The 2 model has an output rate adjuster, so use that. You wont have to worry about him getting sucked up, trust me. Good model, the 2 plus.

K

karrie

Just wanted to let you know all is good with the filter. I really like it. Thanks for the help

andrew

Reaction score
I just bought a Fluval 2 Plus as a replacement for an Aqua One Mini Internal filter which I didn't think was doing the job (not to mention that replacement parts were not available). So far so good though the current seems a little strong, even on the minimum setting. Far from stressing axie out though, she appears to like sitting in it! Very well made filter though.

M

matthew

fluval make good products - but I have to be careful this doesn't become a "testimonial" :p

A

adam

i also have the fluval 2 plus and i also found the current a little bit strong. So i made my self a sort of spray bar thats working really well. I just got a length of plastic hosing and attached it to the outlet pipe on the filter. the hose runs up and out of the water and is attached the the side of the tank with some little suckers that have hooks on them. i have pearced holes on the section of hose that runs along the side of the tank and have also blocked the end. It works great. just got to make sure that the holes in the pipe are big enough so that they don't restrict water coming out of the filter cos you can burn the motor out! It only cost me a couple of quid!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1