Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Sterilizing?

S

samantha

What is the best way to sterilize sand, a filter and a chiller?

I've come to the conclusion that the problems with my tank are due to a chemical buildup caused by my old house in all 3 of these items which aren't able to be removed by simply airing the tank out and i'm going to start from scratch again and re-cycle the tank.

Any help would be appreciated, thank you.

E

edward

The filter pieces can be washed in a 10% bleach solution and allowed to air dry after it is well rinsed. Becareful with any gaskets or rubber o rings as this will cause issues with those products and it may be better to replace them.
The sand can be baked at 400 F for at least 30 minutes.
I am hesitant to recommend anything for the chiller and suggest you contact the manufacturer...

Ed

J

jennifer

Chemical buildup and sterilization are two different things. You can't treat chemical buildup with sterilization - sterilation is intended to get rid of bacteria and other micro-organisms. Perhaps you've described previous problems in other threads, but I'm wondering if the underlying source of the problems might be elsewhere (neither chemical buildup nor micro-organisms).

S

samantha

well i can't honestly say what it is that's affecting my tank other than it's not parasites, it's not ammonia, nitrite or nitrates. I aired the tank at the advice of the axie colony but the problem has come back, and since that only leaves the plants, sand, filter and chiller, It's hard to say what is the cause. The axie colony has been at a loss as to what to suggest as well. After having spoken with another forum member last night after my post who's had similiar problems over the past couple of months and lives in the same city i'm starting to wonder whether it's had something to do with the water or air which is now in the sand, filter and chiller. Never the less their solution was the same conclusion i'd come to which was to sterilise, this has been successful for them so I'm going to give it a shot.

Thanks.

C

cori

Hi Samantha,

I am in victoria which is a fair way from brisbane, But I'm guessing the climate change would be affecting both our air and water quality in simmiliar ways.

I have noticed recently that my axie's don't seem to well and friends of mine have been talking about axie loss and illness in recent times.
I got thinking and the main thing that affects axie's is water quality.
I thought it might have something to do with our tap water. Australia's dam's are at an all time low i'm guessing this would affect the quality dramatically. Maybe there is something extra that can be done to the water to reduce the negatives?

Just a thought.

Regards Eastern_axle

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1