Is my tank too small?

J

jake

i have a tank that is 30cm by 20cm by 18cm, is it too small for a single axie? i will eventually get a bigger tank maybe after a year. but will it get stressed or something? i was looking at other posts for a good size but they always talked about having 2.

Well Jake, it really depends on the size of the axolotl in question.

Axolotls can grow up to 30 cm. You really need a 60cmx30cm tank for a single axie.

that would do for a few months if you got a small one 5-6cm but you'll find that within 4 or 5 months you'll need to get another , give or take, you will need to give it more space esp. if you have a cave and internal filter it will get cramped in that tank as it grows. Ours are over a year old, and they're over 30cm. (something to keep in mind if you intended to keep one for a year in this size tank).

(Message edited by kapo on December 09, 2006)

i think ill save in get a larger one. its just that i was given a free tank and i thought i could just use that. ill just use it for some hermit crabs or something

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back