Yet more help and advice required

G

glen

Hi all
I awoke this morning to find my tank very cloudy. i tested the water and it was very high ammonia all of a sudden. I immediately did a 40% water change before work. The water was still cloudy but looked much better. By lunchtime it had clouded up to a point where neither plant nor axie could be seen. Fearing for the little guys we got 2 small temporary tanks to put them up in. they have eaten but one looked a bit ill - he had black toes and a black spot on his back and eye. I gave him a salt bath and the spots have vanished. Anyway back to the real question... what sort of water changes should i be doing on these small temp homes? I guess at least 20% daily if not more? Sorry to be a pain! My email/msn is gpkillerbee@hotmail.com if that is easier! Thanks again!

if they havnt cycled then 100% water change every day. but test the tap water to make sure it isnt rediculously high in nitrites like it is in my area.

Until the "main tank" is cycled, do as Daniel says: 100% daily in the small temporary tanks. For the main tank, don't do any water changes until the ammonia comes down. At that point, you can put the axies back in.

How large is the main tank? Since the ammonia went up so quickly, I would suspect that either the tank is too small, or some uneaten food caused the sudden problem.

The main tank is 3 foot long by 1 foot wide and 2 foot tall or deep. I fill it with 50 litres of water.

I think that it was must be uneaten food - or too much "poo" - i get out what i can see - but i guess as i still have gravel in there it must be sinking underneath. Should i use this opportunity to get shot of the gravel and use sand?

I also added some new plants but they are dropping loads of leaves - could that be it?

With regards to the change - should that be 100% in one hit or several partial changes throughout the day?

Sorry to be a pain - wish i had come here first rather than use the pet shop "instructions"
angry.gif

Do 100% changes one hit! Do you have the axies in separate temp. tanks or together? One suggestion is have both containers filled with water at same time, both axies in one, then next day move them to the new temp tank. Empty other one and refill just after you've moved them to other container. That way the 2nd container is always ready at room temp and its only a matter of emptying and filling up the "old" one.

(Message edited by kapo on November 22, 2006)

They are in seperate small plastic fish tanks, i was reluctant to put them in together in case they felt overcrowded.

I got two more temp tanks today so i can perform the quick easy switch as recommended by Kapo - cheers
happy.gif

Oh yeah one more thing - i'm not sure how long my main tank will take to recover - will it be ok to keep my guys in these temp tanks for what will probably end up being weeks?

being in the smaller tanks is the lesser of 2 evils. although small, they are safe from harm. they should be fine in the temp tanks until the main is ready to be used again.

This morning i had a problem similar to yours. can i just ask, is there a white substance in the tank on the glass?

just want to work out if its the same thing.

Hi Daniel - i havent seen any white substance on the glass - yet - but the clouds a do look almost "solid" in places...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back