Changes in tank

M

malachy

Hey guys. I have two questions this time, Re my tank for my two little guys.

Firstly, i have some plants in my tank, i have no idea what they are called cos the pet shop just called them plants, but one in particular seems to be dying on me all the time. It looks like a vine with some smallish round leaves running up and down it. The rest <u>seem</u> fine, but i dont want the dying plants to funk up the tank. Should i remove them, or can anyone give some advice?

Secondly, im thinking of changing my small pebbles and gravel to sand. I dont think my axies have eaten any, as they are hand fed sitting up on their hind legs, but you can never be too sure. My question is, when i remove my axies and their decos and plants to swap gavel for sand, will it be okay for them to go straight back in, or will i need to recycle my tank? Are there any other problems i may encounter with this change?

Thanks in advance.

As long as you're not emptying your tank of water. Siphon/empty some or half of the tank water in a bucket or big plastic storage bin/container (leave rest in tank)) and place plants, decos and axies straight in (to keep the decos wet) then remove the gravel and replace with sand; then once your tank is done put decos plants then axies back in (as well as pouring the tank water back in. or

Alternatively, remove the gravel in sections each day and replace with sand (ie: either 3, 4 or 5 sections depending how big your tank is). Doing it this way you can choose to leave your axies in tank or remove them as above.

Some sand can take a few hours to couple of days to settle (ours took few hours). Keep an eye on the water parameters, you may or may not have a minicycle.

Remove the rotting plant.

I agree with Kapo's advice completely. Don't forget to cover the bucket/tub, as the axies will be stressed and may try to jump out. Be sure to rinse the sand well before putting it in the tank.

Kapo, I sent you a message via your forum profile. If you don't get it, please email me: jennewt at caudata.org

Jennifer, have sent you a pm, probs with my em at mom.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back