Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Ageing the tank water

J

jade.

i am almost ready to put my axies into thier new tank, but i have a small question. to get the chlorine out of the water, how long do i have to age it?

with my first tank i had been ageing it for weeks before i got my axie , with a fighting fish in there, but im not sure now.

thanks for your help! this forum has really helped me!

J

joan

Depending on your water treatment center, you may not be able to remove the chlorine with aging. Most now use chloramines (chlorine-ammonia compounds) to treat water, and these do not dissapate. They need to be chemically removed with a dechlorinator.

Aging water and dechlorinating it are two different processes. Aging water allows the excess dissolved gasses to dissapate. It also allows the water to come to ambient temperature, which is similar to the temperature of your tank.

You may have been cycling the tank with fighting fish, but this is another process all together. Cycling is the process of growing beneficial bacteria to remove ammonia and nitrites from your water as they are produced by the axolotl.

Are you thoroughly confused now?

J

jade.

.. ooops. my mistake. thanks for the info, ill probaly go buy some chloramines to treat the water. i feel so silly

J

joan

No, I think you misunderstood (probably my fault, that wasn't a very clear post). You need to REMOVE the chloramines with a dechlorinator. Your water treatment center uses chloramines to kill off bacteria to make the tap water safe for you to drink.

J

joan

Thanks Jennifer. That's what I was trying to say. You're a lifesaver.

S

stewart

In Australia they dont put chloramines in the water only clorine.(at least Sydney water does)

R

roy

And probably they don't even use that in Western Australia. Check with your water company!

Luckily they don't put anything in our water.

J

jade.

clorine is still bad for axolotls right?
this is very embarrising....

D

deb

Yup that's right Jade. You get rid of the chlorine by adding an 'ageing' product to tap water. And apparently it works almost instantaneously so you don't have to wait before you use the water after you've treated it. Or you could use 'tank water' if you get your own water off the roof - some do that here in NZ.

kapo

Reaction score
We use dechlorinator/water ager with our water and let it stand for an hour or so or overnight so that it will be close to same tank temp.

We found when we used dechlorinated water straight away put into the tanks, stressed our axies due to the fluctuating tank temp (from very warm down to cool - it was summer) and then back up to very warm within a few hours.

J

jennifer

<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>Quoting jade. M on Wednesday 13 September 2006 - 14:38 (#POST105911):</font>

to get the chlorine out of the water, how long do i have to age it? <!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote> This is actually a question people should think about more. The old-fashioned advice was to age water overnight and the chlorine would be gone. But if you actually test the chlorine, it can linger much longer, depending on the shape of the container and the temperature. A deep bucket in my basement (16C) still had detectable chlorine almost 2 weeks after I filled it. (And yes, we have only chlorine, not chloramine. I was testing with a swimming pool chlorine test kit.)

Thus, I agree with the other comments here: to be perfectly safe, use a dechlorinating product AND age the water overnight.

R

roy

Most important is to check if there is anything wrong with the water from your tap. More and more companies use ozon or UV which is no problem as it doesn't leave residues.
Some companies (only in Europe?) just use pure sterile groundwater from deep layers so no treatment is needed at al.

S

silver

'life's too short to be cool, be different, be you' (your own favourite quote)

Jade, don't feel silly
smile6.gif
or embarrassed
blush.gif
... no question asked (ever!) is wasted... thanks to your questions we all learn...
So...KEEP THEM COMING
signs.gif

Besides, questions asked are pure beneficial for Axolotl keeping..right?

Silver

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!