Onyx Sand or Tahitian Moon Sand?

F

forrest

Onyx Sand or Tahitian Moon Sand, both are black, has any body used either or and found good results?

oh yeah if i have a 30 gallon tank, do i use 30 pounds of sand?

and whats a safe snail to use that will stir the sand up. Nothing that the axolotl can eat or eat the axolotl hehe.

I would recommend using as little sand as possible - easier to clean that way. I never used either of those, but both are probably OK.

I have black sand in my tank. I really have no idea what sought it is. I just brought it at bunnings warehouse- quite expensive as it came in small amounts, so i couldnt buy bulk. Though, it does look very good.

If i dont use to much sand, where will the good bacteria build up at? i sort of dont want to rely 100% on my filter.

Bacteria will grow on the sand (on the surface, it won't grow underneath, so there's no point in having a thick layer), on any decorations, on the sides of the tank, as well as on the filter.

How thick do you all recommend i believe i saw some one post they use 4-5 cm thick of sand. Im wondering if thats to much or to little. I was thinking maybe a 1 inch (2.5cm) is ok.

update, black onxy sand is like "MUD" i drained it and tossed it. Im just gonna find the smallest gravel i can get ahold of and use that. Siphoning it was a real expierience thats for sure hehe.

I just used Tahitian moon sand in my axolotl tank. I had to rinse it for quite a while before all the dust was gone, but it looks great! It was pretty murky for the first couple hours, but now it looks great. If you do get this sand, make sure to rinse thoroughly!! I can't stress that enough with this sand.

I used the white version of the tahitian moon sand. I started with 40 pounds in a 40 gallon breeder tank.

It has been 2 years and I have "vacuumed up" all of the sand now and have a bare bottom tank.

While this sand looks great it is hard to clean without sucking it up while cleaning.

I have made several hiding places out of PVC and clay pots that are covered in aquarium gravel. Those allow a place for bacteria to grow. And of course there is bacteria in the filter.

I have thought about getting more sand, but I am enjoying how easy it is to keep the bottom of the tank clean with no sand.

Ok heres the verdict.

Black Onyx Sand (code name MUD). It says its great for plants, and i guess so what would be better for a plant to grow in MUD or sand? id guess mud cuz thats what black onyx sand should really be named.

Tahitian moon sand, hey its actualy sand not sand mixed with mud. After washing it for a hour and putting it in the tank slowly its CLEAR and the stuff SINKS not floats, i even dropped it from the top of the tank to test near the filter and the filter didnt even suck it in, the stuff went straight down.

My official recommendation, go for Tahitian moon sand, i bet it even siphons better too.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back