Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Um... axie alone, or axies with friends?

E

elliot

er.. yeah hi, im kinda new to this axie thing but yeah they are really cool, atm i have 1 wild type in a slightly over 6 gallon tank, with gravel and a few plastic plants, err.. yeah i was kinda wondering shall add other things into it or not, theres a few snails in it atm and 3 breeding guppys that stay on the top, i was wondering what other fish or maybe another axie to keep my one commpanie? i think its about 6 inchs and eats everything, including the snails. yeah i also have a under gravel filter so that kinda kicks sand out of the question, and what size tank shall i keep it in?

ps. btw has anyway seen another chinese axie lover or is it just me?!

E

elliot

o one more thing i no tat like the axies have cool super regenerating powers but im wondering, does all of them do that or is it just young ones or regenderates when it feel like? cause i want to by a leu.. (white one) but the only one available at the store had his limb riped off by mine (i brought them from the same shop) yeah so a little help needed here

E

elliot

oo and how do i no the water current is too much, i mean without seeing the sytoms since i wana stop it before my axie get too stressed, i mean like if the gills are blowing about gently does that count as current too strong? i got a big plastic plant that has a few stem that sits on top of the water to stop the water flow, since my tank has a build in system that takes water from the bottom of the tank, to the top and it is sent to the top so it will pour out these little gaps, its a bit hard to explain but hope u get the idea, there are places for the axies to hide from the current but im not sure if im doing the right thing so help is needed~!!!!

P

peter

first of you need to get rid of the gravel as the axie can eat it and it can get stuck.
a six gallon tank is a bit small to have two axies in so before you decide to get another get a bigger tank and you want a bigger tank once the axie has grown some more anyway as 5inch is only a youngster (my sally is only a year old and is 10inches and still growing).
stick to what fish and snails you have don't add more as you might need to take them out depending on whether they get on with you're axie have a read through the forum and you will find plenty on the inclusion of axie friends.
axie regenarate due to them being in a permanent larval stage of the salamander life cycle so just as a tadpole with grow legs to become a frog then so will a axie grow it's limbs back to be a salamander (but a axie unless forced will stay in its larval form and not become a salamander)
a easy way of telling if there if too much water flow is to put some floating plants in and if they get drifted about then its to strong

E

elliot

woow thanks that cleared alot of questions btw when ur measuing axies does it include the tail or just the body, so im thinking since some axies get to 15inchs and including the tail that would be massive, and do you no of any place that sells a juvy white axie

i've been lookin and all i found was one very weak one with a gill and 2 limbs damaged and i dont want to get taht one.

what would u say is a average size tank for 2-3 axies and i cant get rid of the gravel cause i have a under gravel filter which is stuck to the tank and if i remove the gravel me axies gills might get sucked in.

and is it me, when my axies in the tank its alot smaller then i messured it so it looks like theres alot of room for another one or 2

J

jennifer

If you can see the gills moving, I think the current is too strong. I agree with Peter, you should not get another axie until you get a bigger tank (and no gravel). Axies grow VERY fast, so their size right now doesn't matter. Their growth will slow down when they reach about 6 inches, but at that point only one will fit in your tank (just barely).

To avoid gravel eating, you might want to put a feeding dish (or plate) on top of the gravel, and put the food in the dish. Gravel is still dangerous, but hopefully this will prevent a problem until you can get a more suitable tank. Good luck!

(Message edited by jennewt on August 20, 2006)

E

elliot

thanks, also im got this friend that lives near me and i realised she keeps axies as well, i asked her to sort out a reasonable tank to hold 2-3 axies but fingers cross hope it doesnt cost much since im low on funds, im too young to work~!!

kapo

Reaction score
Tank size shud be longer rather than higher, if you can get a 2nd hand one. 3ft to 1 metre long would be good for 2-3 axies and will allow for caves/hidey holes as well as plants. As Jen and Peter says, no gravel when you eventually get your bigger tank. It can block them up and cause blockage probs at the other end. Our adult axies took over 7months to poo all the gravel out (well, we haven't seen any for the past month, so assume it's all gone!). Sand is also cheaper, and much easier to keep clean.

Measurement of axie includes the tail!

If you don't already have one, get a thermometer, as you will need to keep an eye on the tank temp so your axie doesn't get stressed and/or sick if the temp goes above 24degrees celcius.

(Message edited by kapo on August 21, 2006)

E

elliot

thanks hey i have another problem but its in the sickie part of the forum can u help?

E

elliot

err.. i just brought some sand/gravel they are the size of sesame seeds are they ok, its ruffly the same size as its eyes, well a lil smaller, are those ok, they are really cool and i really want to use it on the tank

S

shaun

They're small enough then they will pass through if it swallows it, but if they are too big then it will get trapped. Those sound a bit inbetween. Em...

E

elliot

hahaha im confused to, one idea i had was 2 take it myself and see what happens but that was a bad idea, so im just going to do what i do normally take speedy out well i feed it. o darn i so wana put speedys pics on but i cant, the stupid site only take 800x800 pics and mine ar over 2081x1065 darn u website, darn u good

S

stewart

axies can be used singaly or with others. All axie ages can regenerate limbs

E

elliot

er... ok... hahah... *yawn i really wana do more with my axies like a better tank but i got so much coursework~!! y did they have to give me coursework in the sumer~!!

E

elliot

heyhey can i just ask what are the symtoms of high water flow?, how do i no?, i heard theres something called upturned gills does anyone have any pictures and also if so how do i help it recover or is it scared for life?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1