Fluval or Eheim.

J

james

Hey people, I made a thread about my axolotl's sickness, Now after my he has got better I feel the need for a better filter.

I read through some of the threads about the two brands in question, But I didn't seem to come to any certain decision about which would be best for my axolotl.

My tank is a 96 litre, 32" w x 12" d x 16" h, One roughly 12" axolotl resides therein.

So, I know there are quite a few threads about this kind of stuff but I'd like advice on this particular topic and people's opinions on the filters.

I am looking solely at external filters, I read about the Fluval 104, and the Eheim range, And came across this page with the Ecco series: http://www.1st4aquatics.com/index.asp?function=DISPLAYCAT&catid=229

I was looking at the 2232 model, And was wondering is it would suit my tank, And general opinions from people who had used it, Also does the Ecco Pad Set on the same page offer the complete re-fit for the replaceable media in the filter?

Also information about what kind of media these different filters use would be nice, I'm used to mine using four different pads, But these filters seem to use different kinds, Or that might just be me. ANyone with information about spraybars and how to fit them and the such like please reply.

Going back a page to this: http://www.1st4aquatics.com/index.asp?function=DISPLAYCAT&catid=225

This shows the other Eheim filter ranges available so any help choosing one would be hugely appreciated.

If anyone could provide links to other stockists concerning either brand then please do.

Many many thanks and apologies for the lengthy post =)

(Message edited by Jaymz on July 30, 2006)

this is funny i have tried both i must recomend the fluval. priming is a big hassel we lose power during storms and fluval could reprime itself. it has an easy stop valve and water stop which i really like i have a 102 and 101 and both are great with the spray bar my big tank has the 401is really nice but you would probably just use the 101. are you going to add a chilling system? the 101 really is not strong enough to be able to also filter the tank. they make no noise and the units stay relatively cool. i made my spray bar out of pvc pipe and just drilled little holes in it. it stays up with suction cups. i didnt like the holes straight across. this way i could have them a little stagered around. any cap can secure the end. the tube that comes up from the filter can fit over the edge fran

I've never had an Eheim, although I'm told that they are top-quality. Due to the price difference, I chose the Fluval 104. I've had it for at least 4 years and it's still working fine. It has two filter baskets, and it's entirely up to you what you put into them. I use polyester floss and carbon in one, and some ceramic biofiltration media in the other. I like the flexibility of putting whatever I want in there.

Well so far it sounds like the Fluval, There won't be any chilling system I don't think, The tank never really gets too warm for such a long time to need one, If so I just put ice blocks in or whack the Axolotl in the fridge.

I was just thinking about the media, How do you decide what to use? What do you keep in your tank Jennifer? That way maybe I can judge what I'd need. Gonna need to find a stockist around me as well.

Cheers =D

I keep newts in the tank, and I have the water set up to empty into a pot of gravel to disperse the flow. I think the filter comes with some of the ceramic media. The other "standard" thing to use is filter carbon. Beyond that, you can use the baskets to hold media that correct any problems with your water (too hard, too soft, too acidic, etc.). When I lived in an area with soft acidic water, I included a little bag with calcium carbonate along with the carbon.

Thanks a lot Jen, Should be looking into the Fluval 104 for my tank, Assuming that's the right model, I seem to have seen that it would suit a tank like mine.

Anyone got a good stockist website in England (Preferred to avoid shipping =P) That can supply the media and extra accessories that I may need?

looks ok. I'm using an external canister type that used to belong to my father when he had a 5ftx3ftx3ft tropical tank so its quite powerful,
I've got taps fitted to the inlet and outlet pipes so i can reduce the flow( and so i can switch the water of if I need to remove the pump) plus i've got the outlet going into a moss filled trough so that there is hardly any water disturbance in the tank.
the trick to starting the pump is making sure it is under the tank and that the water in the pipes are higher than the tank water level, then just let gravity do the hard work.
as to filter substrate I us a stones for the first two holders and sponge for the last in the filter and then i use moss in the trough as a type of bio filter.

Anyone any experience with the Hydor range? I found this one:
http://www.theaquariumshop.co.uk/hydor-prime-external-filters-o-150.html
Which looks good for my tank and at a good price, But obviously I don't want it if it's not the best idea. Anyone?

And I'm still having problems finding media replacement =s All that shops seem to seel is one kind of media in huge boxes. Anyone get their media off the Internet? And if so where from?

Cheers =)

most shops should sell ceramic cut tubes (bio filter), activated carbon (chemical filter)or you can even use medium gravel (bio filter). provided that you use the main fine filter sponge (particle filter)as the top stage (the one before the outlet you can mix and match the others.
as to the internet try this web address: http://www.ultimateaquatics.co.uk/acatalog/
as these seem to have most of the things needed and they're in the uk.
hope this helps.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back