How efficient are filters??

M

mary

i are ashamed to say i still haven't got a filter and my axies are prob 6 months old. it seems so complicated with changing its insides- do they pick up those flakey bits that seem to always be on the bottom of the tank. I do a turkey basting at least once a day but there is always so much "stuff" in the tank- this isnt counting the big poos. And if i get a filter does this mean i don't need the air pump any more?

You can get non-air pump driven filters. Your filter will depend on the size of your tank. For my axolotl tank, I have a canister filter.

Filters are good to have, but not necessary. If you're having problems keeping the tank clean, you should get a filter.

Cleaning them is not as hard as you think, and only needs to be done periodically (I clean my large particle pad once a month).

A filter will help reduce those "flakey bits". I guess it's a personal judgement which is more complicated - daily turkey basting versus changing filter pads.

Your tank needs decent airation, one way or another. Whether or not you would need to keep the air pump depends on the kind of lid you have, and what kind of filter setup you would have. You need some degree of fresh air and surface agitation - if the filter doesn't provide it, then it would be wise to keep the air pump.

Thanks-!! my teen axies get such a messy tank- they must have late night parties after we have gone to bed....

Another way to get around the air pump thing is the raise the filter (if you get one) just above the water line, this will create a flow of water on the surface. I have done this with my spray bar and it works great. If you dont want to raise the head of the pump out of the water, you can also move the direction of the spray bar towards the surface, this then pushes water up and also creates movement. But this depends on if you get a spray bar.

I haven't seen a spray bar- only ones that look like stingrays (!) and rectangular box type ones. I don't understand how they can have enough suction to keep the whole tank clean or do you have to reposition them?

I think a filter basically just pushes the water around the tank and at the same time sucks water up through the bottom of the filter and filters the water as it goes through the filter wool/foam then gets sent through the top part of the filter again which pushes more water around the tank. Thats basically the cycle. A spray bar is just a tube that joins to the top of the filter that slows the water down as it comes out the little holes. I'll post a pic later tomorrow when I get home if you'd like to see what one looks like. Or you could probably do a google search for filters and spray bars and it would give you a pic. Hope this helps. If you'd like a photo, just let me know

If you have a large tank, a canister filter is a good investment. These usually have separate intake and output tubes. They're also usually quite efficient. Definately worth the purchase.

joan, i have a 3 foot tank. do you think its worth getting a canister filter for that? i was thinking that the water flow would be to powerful for a 3 foot tank?.

That's kind of a border line, Alex. Most of the small canisters are rated for 45 gallon tanks, and a 3 foot tank is usually around 30 gallons, give or take.

The flow would be a bit much, but most either come with a spray bar, or are spray bar compatible. If you plan on upgrading to a bigger tank, it would be a worthy investment.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back