Help needed with Aqua Medic Mini Cooler

sherrisixxx

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
Sherri
I bought this cooler, but I don't know how to use it? Does anybody have a similar cooler and could kindly explain to me, please. It is just a box with an/off switchs and temperature control. I had to buy tubing myself, and attached one tube to 'In'-whole and other to 'Out'-hole, and put the other ends of the tubes to the aquarium, in the water. However when I turn the cooler on,it is making a sound, but water is not moving anywhere. No water is going in to the machine in the tubes at all??? I can't figure it out.Why not? Am I supposed to have another part attached to it? Please help.
Thank you in advance.

u either need a pump or u need to run it inline with ur cannister filter if u have one, the later probaly being better.
i had mine running inline with my cannister filter, so ur outlet of ur cannister filter goes to ur inlet of ur chiller then the outlet of ur chiller goes into ur tank "spray bar" that way the water is filtered b4 it reaches ur chiller too.

here's a cpl of pics that might help
pay attention to the specifications page as it tells u what pump size to use IE : GPH of water u need to be running the unit efficiantly
65910.jpg

65911.jpg

65912.jpg

65913.jpg

Thanks a million, Rob. The instructions are real bad in my new chiller, it didn't say anything about needing a pump,huh.I thought it would be all built in.Especially at that price!! I don't have a pump, but I have an internal filter in my aquarium.Is this of any use? I bet not.
I just tried to look at the prices of canister filters, they are horribly expensive!!Oh no, I already spent all the money I had saved for a holiday to buy the cooler.
Is there any way to do it without spending another huge lump of money?

Or what type of pump I would need? All I have is kinda airpump for air-stones...

aqua medic mini cooler
* Power uptake - 140w
* Cooling power - 100w
* Heating power - 155w
* For aquariums up to 100 litres at air Temp. 10c or 125 litres at air temp 5c
* """Recommended flow 100-300 lph"""
* Paltier Element
* Dimentions 20x20x25cm (LxWxH)
* Temperature measurement and control - digital

the pump u use must be atleast 100 lph and up to 300 lph, "i would go 300 lph"
my self i would save and get a cannister filter cause it has the advantage of filtering the water
b4 it enters ur chiller...
u can get a good water pump pretty cheap, if not
"just to give an idea"
http://www.aquariumsrus.com.au/utilityp.htm
that chiller is only suitable for up too a 120lt
tank "max" so i hope ur's isnt a bigger tank than that ?
hope this clarifies it a bit more for u
happy.gif

Rob, thanks so much for all your help! My friend has now managed to attach the cooler to my internal pump, so the water is going through that, and he said the flow volume is perfect in it. I put the cooler to 13C, but even after 15 hours, the temperature is still 22C, so it has only gone down 0,5 C degrees.Hmmm...Dunno what's wrong. My tank is 200 litres, but I don't keep it full of water, so there is aprox 125 litres water, which should be ok..Maybe I should e-mail Aqua Medic, I found their website...

no probs Sherri
the unit is only meant for 120lts "max" and will only take the water temp down around 5c below what ur current air temp is at them specs, if ur flow rate is below what it should be it wont be pumping the water through the chiller fast enough to cool the tank, u need at least 100 lph 300 lph being preferable.
i recon Aqua medic will only tell u to get a better "bigger" filter
13c is way lower than it will actually bring ur water down too, if ur room temp is say 25c ur chiller will only cool ur water to around 20c with the volume of water u have and the power of that chiller. also make sure the chiller has good air flow around it IE: not in a cabinet or something, as they need good airflow cause they give of heat when running...
shame ur not in Aus cause i have my chiller advertised in the for sale section for probably cheaper than u paid for ur aqua medic one and is much more powerfull "dont mean to dampen ur enthusiasmn" unfortunately with the aqua medic unit u pay more for the heating capasity of the unit than a straight chiller only...

My cooler is definately broken.It doesn't cool the water at all.I put the cooler off for 24 hours, the temperature stays the same...I even set it at 6C,but nothing happens...aaargh!!And now my axie has fungus. Possibly cos of the heat. Have e-mailed Aquatics Warehouse(Place where i got it from),twice,but no reply. Arrgh.
Rob, I so wish I was in Australia, so I could buy your cooler..its also lots cheaper than what I paid for my broken minicooler...

dont feel bad sherri i got a cool works for the small tank has anyone ever used it i dont even know how to turn it on...

sorry to hear that Sherri, ide give em a call and get them straight onto it
sad.gif

really hate them shops that are really keen to take ur money, but if something goes wrong there slow to respond !

Thanks. I have now sent the broken cooler back, and they promised to send me a new one.Fingers crossed it arrives in the next few days. At the mo I'm just putting frozen water bottles to Axelina's water, and a normal fan blowing into it, but its not quite enough, cos Axelina is very sensitive!

Huh,huh, the company still hasn't sent me a replacement cooler, despite their promises of an over-night delivery. Stupid internet companies!!Axelina is in the fridge now, been since yesterday.I am trying to find a shop in London that sells mini-coolers, so I could just go and pick it up, but no luck. Unbelievable.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back