Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

How long should i filter?

A

amalia

This must be a really silly question...but i wonder...should i let the filter on all day long, or just a few hours per day? It´s possible to over-filter?
Sorry, but i don´t have anyone else to ask ! :p

kapo

Reaction score
We leave ours on all day and only turn them off at night (we have several tanks) when we go to bed, only because the sound of the filters seem really noisy at night.

A

anna

It is perfectly fine to leave the filter running all the time. As far as I know it is not possible to over filter. Just make sure that the current isnt too strong.

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Most filters are designed to run continuously. If you shut down a filter you might cause the biological filtration to crash. The beneficial bacteria could die and pollute your tank. If the noise bothers you try to find a quieter filter.

A

amalia

no, it´s not the noise, i was worried abut spending too much electricity or overheating the filter. But if all of you keep it running all day long, i will too :p

Thanks!

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Many of the newer filters have low electricity usage. I think all are designed to run all of the time. Their is no question that having lots of filters and lights can run up your electric bill. Between the filters, lights, air conditioner, and heater (for frogs) my electric bill is higher than average. I think the filters are a very small part of that.

S

sharn

i run about *thinking* 700L or so with heaters, filters and lights and i havent noticed a large increase in power, maybe 10 bucks a month or something like that.

i agree with michael about the bacteria colonies suffering, your filter shouldnt over heat at all and many filters have run for 5+ years, sometimes over 10 continuously bar maintenance.

kapo

Reaction score
The longest our filters are off each night are 4hrs; and haven't really noticed any increase in our electricity bill.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!