Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Antother tank size question

A

annabelle

I already posted this question but due to recent site damage by some strange idiot it is gone (grrr) so here it is again. I am wondering if a tank measuring 77L x 39W x 38H would be too small for 2 adult axols? I havent gotten them yet and I will only get one if the tank is too small but I love them and I would really love two. Thanx for everyone's help so far. This site is fantastic.

A

annabelle

Hmmm, ive probably put this in the wrong place. It should probably be in the Quality of Life section. Am I right?

J

joleen

Hey Annabelle
happy.gif
i think your fine posting this in this section of the forum.

Its proven to show that everyone has differnet opinions when it comes to the size that "should" be had for axies. Some ppl measure by the amount of gallons in the tank, others by floor space.

IMO, a tank of that size is fine for 2 axies.
Im assuming your measuring in cms also.
It also may depends on the axie. If one is territorial, is generally will bully the other, make sure you have lots of areas for each to get away and hide. I think they will be happy in a tank of that size though. Play it by ear though. As they get bigger... youll naturally want a bigger tank... its a disease!! LOL

happy.gif

S

sharn

i think thats a great size, i posted something to your question but its gone now obviously... that was wierd alright all those posts dissappering. most people class a 60x30x30 a minimum for 2 adults so your doing great, i think your tank is around the size id choose for mine and i like to give mine lots of room so well done! i go by floor space as thats where they dwell
happy.gif

J

joleen

Sharn, ive noticed a couple of my posts are missing from threads too (AFTER the hacking incident).

Ive mentioned this to John in the announcement section, to see if its another case of the site being hacked
sad.gif

A

annabelle

Yeah, measuring in cms. Hacking incident was very frustrating and stupid
nono.gif
. Sorry I missed ur first answer Sharn. I was busy for the whole weekend and by the time I got back on the net, the whole thread was gone
sad.gif
. Nice to know my tank will do, at least for now. Im one of those people that always tries for maximum space for my pets so Ill probably be on the lookout for a bigger tank if I can afford the space and money. If not and they start to fight I have another, slightly smaller tank so I can split them up if I need to. I am, even now, gathering plants and hiding places for my tank so hopefully it should be ok.

J

joleen

Good stuff Annabelle. Good luck!!
happy.gif

Make sure you post pics of your little ones once you get them ;)

A

anna

Will have pics up as soon as I get them and can work out how to get them on here. Transferring photos to computer has always been a downfall of mine. My bf works with computers tho so with ne luck Ill get him to show me and have some up soon. Will start cycling my tank in the next couple of days after I've completely emptied it and sterilised it. I should have plenty of time to learn bout photos b4 I get them.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1