Terracota pots

M

mary

hi there, my dumb q for the night: do people think its ok to put a new terracota pot in the tank for a wee cave. I thought i would soak it 1st in filtered water. just worried that fine dust might be bad for the water?

I have one in my tank. I rubbed baking soda on it and washed it well under the tap. I have had no probs with it in my tank. I read somewhere about washing it with baking soda, you may not have to do it. Somebody correct me if i'm wrong

as long as its been treated properly and cant leach anything it will be ok, alot of people use terricotta pots for breeding cave spawners. im not too up on my terricotta but the kilned stuff is ok (do they do it any other way lol), just give it a wash first

Those plain orange pots they sell for gardening? I use them in tanks all the time. I soak them in a bucket of water overnight to make sure nothing leaches out. Then I scrub them and put them in the tank.

thanks folks!!my wee kids need more caves. Their only shell cave is used as their private toilet- how cute is that? actually sometimes so is their food shell...

terracota update- put a wee pot in the tank- they love it and hide there with tails poking out...very funny.. its not quite big enough but they think they're hidden!

LOL they think they are invisible once in they are in the pot i bet LOL

Well at least they have somewhere to hide, a comfort spot
happy.gif

Sorry for being an idiot, but is terracotta pot the same as clay pot used for flowers?

Thanks. I went to a gardening store, and all I could find was orange clay pots..so figured it may be the same thing, but didn't dare to buy them in case it's different, and may make my axies ill.

terracota is a type of clay. Once they kiln it (cook) it's fine for aquarium use, in fact lots of ppl use them in their hospital tanks for a hide out for sick fish, and they are even cracked pots. It should be fine! i have one in my tank with fish and they are fine!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back