Help Help Help Nitrite High

J

jenny

I just did a water test,
everything else if fine fine
Ammonia O PH 7.2 Nitrate 5 but the Nitrite is like way up...like by the colour i can't tell if it 2 or 5 but it's dark purple
it was perfect two days ago.. at Zero

I don't want to stress Shoana again by chasing her around the tank to get her out... as she is just starting to settle down.... is there anything i can do to reduce the Nitrite in a hurry

(Message edited by jennycoyote on February 16, 2006)

I just did about a 25% water change and it went down a little, between 1.00 and 2.00, I don't want to do another water change for a little while because it did end up getting Eddy stressed as well, I tried to be as gentle as i could, scooping the water out with a cup and putting it back in slowly with a cup as well, to try not to disturb the water too much... I will give it a little while and test again, maybe i did the test too soon, but I will do anther water change again in about an hour or so. i am hoping that this will help and wont cause my little guy too much more stress..

What might of caused it to rise so much... but not the ammonia levels first... as I said 2 days ago, everything was perfect. I was testing everyday, but left it for a day... and now I have this high nitrite???? Bugger testing every couple of days... back to everyday... If I had done it yesterday i would have i am sure caught it before it got sooo dam high...

Add a tablespoon of aquarium salt per gallon of water. The salt will help to reduce (note reduce) the toxicity of the nitrite but will not interfere with the cycling of the aquarium.
Continue with the water changes until it comes down.

Ed

Thanks, Ed I was just reading about adding salt (Aquarium salt) to help reduce the toxicity, I wasn't sure if the amount recommended where i read it was ok for axies, which was about 1/2 an ounce. and came back here to ask.. and you have answered my question already.. wow thanks heaps...
Any idea why it might have spiked like this, I remove any uneaten food, and the axies have only been back in the tank for about 5 days.
I did add some stress coat to try and help Shoana, could that have caused the spike? I wouldn't think so since it's recommended for getting rid of the chlorine etc. But it's only thing i have done different since i tested 2 days ago.
I have lots of Live plants so I dread to think what it could have been if I didn't.. smiles

oops, I also fogot to add that it was recommended to increase the oxygen levels so i have my airator up full is that ok?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back