Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Would a fluval 104 work for me?

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
I've been struggling with what kind of filter I should use in my aquarium. Right now I'm using a HOB filter, but despite my best efforts, the water flow seems to still be too strong for my critter. So, I was looking into getting a cannister filter and using a spray bar. My tank is 20 gallons, so would the fluval 104 with a spray bar be adequate? Would I have to turn it down a little (if there is such an adjustment on it?) Is fluval a good brand?
Thanks

S

sharn

fluvals are a great brand- one of the better around. it says it does 125gph which would be a bit much for your the axie tank but seeing as it will have a spray bar it *might* be ok. normally youd want to run around 3x per hour but it still may be too much, bit of a trial and error thing really.

R

rob

from what iv'e read the fluval 104 is for up too 100ltr tanks. but u should try get the fluval 105 "new model to replace 104". i think u would be fine with this as the fluval have a valve to adjust the water flow... i have the fluval 304 "up to 300lt" in a 192lt tank with a spray bar right across the back wall of the tank, but i also run a chiller though the cannister too which slows the water flow down a little too. i think the fluval 105 would be perfect for ur needs. i'm very happy with my fluval
happy.gif
"very quiet too"

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1