Plant advice

C

cheryl

Can someone please give me some advice about what plants are suitable in an axolotl tank? Also, I have large stones as my substrate... how do i bury the plants?

i think almost any plants you can get from a petshop are suitable. I recommend rooted or potted plants as axies seem to love uprooting plants.. i have great hygrophila, stargrass, banana plants, brazilian pennywort, anubias, and orchid lilly, and baby tears, with java moss starting to grow as well. All of those except for anubias and java moss are fast growing and easy to grow with decent lighting except stargrass which needs a lot.

I'd recommend putting sand under the large stones.

Theresa posted this site a cpl of days ago
http://www.plantgeek.net/
its a wealth of knowledge
happy.gif
and if u look around it u will get all the info needed to grow healthy plants..

In your tank i suggest nothing more then javo moss and plants that are attached to a log or rock. Im not trying to be rude but sont buy the plants that Skylar Lenoir has suggested, they'll just die in your tank. Unless you swich to small gravel (1-2mm in lenght) sand works nice but compresses to easily not helping the plants as much. The plants Skylar Lenoir suggested will only survive in pots of filter floss at the bottom layer to store nutrients and gravel inthe rest of the pot.

? my plants aren't in pots and i have sand :/ and they are growing fine. I just add liquid fert every week or so, they are growing nicely

Does java moss die at lower temps? I can expect my tank to drop to close to fridge temp in winter. should i look at heating it then?

Do you think I would be able to grow java moss as a complete cover on the floor of the tank? Kind of like a lawn?

yep! If you got a handful size of it and tied it down, depending on the size of your tank it should cover the bottom within 3-4 months

that would solve the problem of muck falling between the rocks, and i imagine would be comfortable to lie on
happy.gif

Would the rocks be a problem for it to bond to as they are smooth? I think they may even be polished.

Skylar Lenoir im not saying those plants cant do good in a axie tank its just that Cheryl has large rocks and she cant keep anything but potted plants, or the plants would die slowly.

i have smooth rocks and the moss grows over it. However they aren't polished and that might be a problem, if yours are.

The problems with Java mats is that the detritus gets bound up in the mat and cannot be removed without physically removed in the mat and rinsing it (it is very hard to clean out using a siphon)

Ed

I have some java moss currently living at 9C (48F). It's fine in cold water. My other recommendation is silk plants. I silicone some pebbles onto the base so that they stay down and don't need to be anchored with sand.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back