What to do with small tank ?

R

rob

Hi
just wondering what to do with my small tank
60cmx30x30 i dont plan on getting anymore axies but i have my small tank in another room with the filter running and still setup with substrate etc..
i want to keep it as a hospital tank or whateva but dont really want to have the filter running anymore and it's enough work for me to maintain 1 tank dont really want the maintenance of 2 tanks
it took so long to cycle, i dont really want to mt it incase i need it again and then have to cycle it again ? what should i do any ideas ?

you dont need to keep the filter on if you really dont want to, bacteria will grow on the other surfaces. either way, if you want to keep it running nicely you will still have to do water changes at some point in time- less if you keep it animal free though...

either that or you could just transfer substrate to the small tank along with water from your other axie tank if you ever need it?

ok thx Sharn
happy.gif

I would surely keep your small tank, weither or not you keep it up and running. You never know when you might get "axolotl fever" and want another axolotl lol, or as you have said, use it as a hospital tank. I have so many tanks now, all different sizes, so I am neve worried about running out of room hehehe
happy.gif

i would like another axie but dont really think i have enough room in my bigger tank for another
it's 36"x18x18 what do u recon ? there are plenty of hiding spots. my current 3 are 6-7-8" just dont want it to be too cramped for my axies, it's very tempting though
happy.gif
i might even get a bigger tank i havn't decided yet. i only really want to have one big tank though.doing too many hrs @ work and dont want the maintenance of too many tanks
sad.gif

Yes the small tank is always handy when the axie gets sick and even emptying it and having it around. I have a 1 foot sick tank but i also have more then one type of fish in many tanks.

I love the big tanks and i think i will always get another bigger one any day and keep the smaller for sick tank or to house other fish.

rob, i have a tank spare thats exactly the same size and i never use it. im still going to keep it incase my axies ever decide to mate and ill keep a few of the babys in that tank
happy.gif

Rob,

Where are you getting the morphed axie from? Or are you just hoping you will come across one?

getting one when there finally ready "2-3 weeks" from a big aquarium shop in Adelaide, but sorry i wont give the name of the shop for the fear of giving them any extra business. as i actually bag the shop to every one i can, and successfully took them to consumer affairs
angry.gif

but i really want a Salamander so gonna bite the bullet @ $90

personally i wouldnt get them, theyve obviously been forced to morph which creates soooo much stress and they dont normally live that long once morphed anyway, plus your paying big bucks for it.

i would take a shop to the consumer affairs for selling morphed axies by itself, its animal cruelty

they are forced to morph yes, and i do realise they probably wont live that long but they do it any way so thought it would be better in my loving house than @ that poor aquarium shop...
they do sell them advertised as Salamanders, is there a difference from as Salamander and a morphed axie ? cause maybe i could get them for false advertising ? which i would really love to do !
he also told me they live for as long as an axies "yeah right" and u just keep them @ room temps
"yeah right again" but hey he has been doing it for over 20 yrs so u cant tell him he's wrong
"believe me iv'e tried" to be fair though his axies look in really good condition which i cant say for any other shops iv'e seen them in so far
sad.gif

although they are on very small gravel !

axies are salamanders i think? im not sure if there is any other type of salamander that looks like a morphed axie though. as far as ive heard they normally only live a couple of years max (that dude really doesnt know what hes talking about!!). its good your taking them home for a better life but but doing that its just going to make him get more in to meet demands, so in the end more axies will be forced to morph. if noone buys them theyre going to stop doing it- just my opinion anyways
happy.gif

id take him down for animal cruelty, injecting animals with hormones to make them morph un-naturally must be classed as that, its the same as dying fish etc.

I don't think just selling morphed axies should be labeled as animal cruelty. But if they are being forced to morph (which they probably won't tell you) than by purchasing the morphed axie you are just encouraging them.

By the way, if morphed at a young age the axolotl will live for longer.

Sorry was writing my post when you posted.

Axolotls are salamanders and there are other morphed sals that look similar to morphed axies. Do you know what method he uses to morph his axies?

(Message edited by jazza on January 30, 2006)

i'm gonna make a few phone calls tomorrow and c where i stand as for the cruelty factor as they have told me that they make them morph, i will also try find out some more info on how they make them moprh
id'e say by injection though. will ring up from work and act like a curious customer as they probably have my home # black listed lol cause of the trouble i caused them !

Im not going to comment on the morphed axie selling thig, i dotn really have anything to say but its cruel.

Anywayz the best thing you can go with the small axie tank is make it into a sump tank. That basicly involves puting it in under the aquaium in the stand run a pipe from the top of the aqurium and let it run throught the tank with some bio balls in a socket/bag etc and a return pump back. Its like a home made canister filter. Mainly used for marine tanks but for a larg fresh water tank, i see why not.

Metamorphosis in axolotls can be readily accomplished through a variety of methods through hormonal means. This has been documented for more than a century and is well published in the literature.
You can even stimulate the metamorphosis via the diet if the hormonal levels are sufficiently high in the food source or even dissolved into the water. Yes it can be readily accomplished by injection but the method to accomplish this is also well covered in the literature and as far as I know is an accepted practice.

With respect to metamorphed axolotls and survivorship, I would be interested to see what the survivorship is of axolotls that have sufficient hormone levels to carry them through metamorphosis compared to those that spontaneously begin to metamorph or have insufficient levels of the hormones.

Ed

thx for the feedback Ed ur post now gives me some hope that if it is actually properly done it may survive longer than i originally thought
happy.gif

saves me a few calls, will let u people know how the morphed axie goes that i'm going to use my smaller tank for and will post some pics when i get him/her

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back