Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Budget chilling lol

M

mel

as a low income individual, i cant afford a chiller just yet. and thought that seeing us aussies are having problemo's i might give my working advice...hehehe

i have got my two loved ones in a large esky type container, they are in two smaller containers(big enough for them to move in) with their tank water. i have placed an ice brick under them and rotating ice bottles around the four sides. it works, for me, it brings the temp down to 18/19C. i rotate the ice bricks too...

hope it helps some people....

J

joanne

As I live in W.A. I know exactly where you are coming from
wink.gif
A tank chiller is a little out of my budget league too! Your 2 Axolotls are the same as my Lotle and Falkor, a golden and a black one (not sure of the exact 'brand'
rofl.gif
)

Cause I have over zealous dogs and limited space I decided against a second, cooler holiday home for my babies. Instead I seal frozen water bottles inside a zip-lock Glad bag and then seal the whole lot into a second bag to guard against possible contamination from leaks. Then I float the frozen bottles in the tank, keeping the bag in place by hanging the top out and shutting the tank lid on it. Changing when needed, I can keep the temp around 20-22 degrees.

Only problem is, with all the tank icebergs in my freezer I don't have much room left for MY FOOD
crazy.gif

S

sharn

found my bubba floating on his side yesterday (even i was dying from heat), put him in the fridge overnight and now hes in the chilly bin with icepacks around his little tank (the chilly bins quite large). works a treat and hes down to 18C! that reminds me... better go swap them round now

J

joanne

Hope your little bubba is OK and has a speedy recovery! Goodluck!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!