Filter and Sand

R

rory

<font color="ffffff"><font face="verdana,arial,helvetica"></font>Hello Everyone i was just wondering what typr of INTERNAL filter (must be internal filter) should i get there is a massive range from fluval to jebo i was just wondering what the number next to the brand name should say. I thought it meant the water flow speed should i try and get the lowest number or the highest also would beach sand be ok and how do i clean the sand before putting it in the fish tank. Also if i put a stocking or pantaloons over the filter would this stop sand being sucked up and screwing up the filter. THANKS!!!
smile7.gif
</font>}

What size tank do you have? This is neccessary information to determine what filter you will need.

I believe Heather has used beach sand in her tank. Try PMing her about it. I would be wary about using it though. You would need to boil it before putting it in the tank. I don't know how sand would be sucked into an internal filter if you have stuck on the side of the tank.

it really does depend on what brand you want, there are so many we cant give you a list unless you want it 100 pages long lol. pick your brand and we will be able to tell you what model would be best for ya setup.

personally i wouldnt use beach sand, the beaches here a clean but i still dont trust it. do you have any local building suppliers? they normally have sand for building purposes

What size Tank do you have?
Beach sand can be cleaned by boiling and oven but i am not an expert.

Fluval and its a 2ft tank

(Message edited by rory_burt on January 29, 2006)

Why do you NEED an internal filter, and why do you need a filter for a 2 foot tank? I usually went without a filter on my smaller tanks. As long as you have enough substrate and decorations, you don't really need a filter.

Beach sand is just as effective as store-bought sand, which is mined (rather like coal). Just wash it, boil it if you're terribly worried. But remember that axolotls are WILD animals (or were at one time), and were exposed to wild pathogens (like those found on the beach) in their native habitat.

building sand works ok, just rinse it out a few time. Try asking for that at a hardware store.
I would recomend a top hanging filter for your tank.

I reccomend a hang over filter too. I have a 2 foot and i use a hang over filter.
They are excellent in my opinion.

do a google seach on fluval internal filters. i also didnt have a filter on my 2 footer and i also like HOBS, but im not sure if you can get ones for your sized tank

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back