What kind of sand should i get?

J

jimmie

Im setting up a 10 gallon tank and i am going to get a new juvie axie, but what kind of sand should i get? i have a home depot here, is that a good place to go to get sand? or should i go to pool place and get the filter sand they use in pool filters?

hi jammie, i bought my sand from the home depot and it seems to be fine. just make sure to ask if it has any added chemicals in it, as they will contaiminate the water. i think the pool place will have sand with chlorine in it, but im not to sure.

Make sure u get the right sand. I asked for clean pre-washed playsand...and they gave me very dirty clayish sand insted.
And then they wouldnt re-fund me, so i ended up getting very large river rocks insted..they r a bit harder to clean and wont look as nice, but it does the job quite well
happy.gif

i have builders sand, thats working fine. sharn bought plasterers sand which she said is working fine. the pet store might sell some sand, mine dont but yours might.

yip my sands great! settled nicely now and when they dash around it doesnt create massive clouds, i like the finer stuff too cause you can see their prints

just make sure to stir the sand , run a fork through it once a week, so as not to get anerobic (sp) pockets.

Builders sand from nursery are popular but make sure you ask about added chemicals witch affect the housing

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back