Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Is big stones good for floor of tank?

D

dane

I wish to put big nepoar lucky stones on the floor of three foot fish tanks because i have been told they are good and i cant get sand. would this be a good idea?
By dane rhoades

C

charlie

I'd still try to get sand.
Hardware stores often have 5 kg bags of river sand (they do in sydney, anyway) which means a bit more than half of that when you wash it all out etc.

Big rocks are ok, but some people find its harder to clean between them etc.

A

alex

i agree with you charlie, my hardware store sells sand also, its called builders sand and iv had it for about 1 month and its working fine
happy.gif
i advise you check all petstores and hardware stores, or maybe garden centers?. just be sure to ask if the sand has any added chemicals and if it would be fine to use in a fish tank.

if you cant get sand then i reccomend you dont get an axolotl. the axolotl is very likely to swallow this gravel.

J

joan

If you can't get sand, why put any substrate down? I found rocks hard to clean. If you want to scatter a few rocks here and there, that's fine. A bare bottom tank is the easiest to clean, and the easiest to monitor. If you do use the rocks, make sure they're bigger than the axolotl's whole head, otherwise they can be swallowed.

D

dane

The stones are bigger than my axies head and is it possible to do what Heather did and put beach sand in.

C

charlie

If you're trying a petstore, you may find it over with the hermit crabs supplies.

You'd want to make sure you baked or boiled any beach sand I think.

S

sharn

id definatly try to get sand, i found large rocks a pain in the bum to clean. go to your local building supplier, and ask for plasterers sand or builders sand, they should have some. good to see your not getting gravel so a big thumbs up to ya!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1