Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Tank size?

C

caitlyn

I have a 24x12x12 inch tank, is this enough to house 2 adult axolotls? If its not, i have a 45L tank that i could probably use. My 2 axies are normally kept in a huge 1440L tank, and the smaller tank is only temporary (2 weeks when im in vanuatu)

J

joan

I think you could keep them in a 2 footer temporarily, but it wouldn't make a good permenant home. Bigger tanks give you more flexibility in decorations, filters, plants, and a little more leeway in water quality. It takes longer to foul larger bodies of water than smaller.

Good luck and enjoy Vanuatu!

S

sharn

yeeehaaa that 1440L tank sounds great!!! any pics? and yeah i dont like keeping two adults in that sized tank but it would be ok temporarily... enjoy your holiday!

C

chris

wow 1440 litre tank,thats the tank i dream about having one day"feels my new 350 litre is now a lil puddle lol"yeah the 24x12 i would have thought would not be a great way to go wiv 2 full size adult axies i would think they would get mighty stressed together,and with lack of space, might turn to one of them nibbling the other one.

D

dane

I had mine in a 50cm by 30cm by 30cm tank and i thought it to be to small so i got a three foot tank and i am going to put to others in with my gab.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1