Axolotl for a greenhouse pond?

H

henry

Hi there,

I'm new to the forums but not that new to keeping amphibians.

I am in the process of setting up a new greenhouse that is built around housing amphibians. It will, obviously be used mainly for my plant collections but the structure itself is to be completely sealed and any necessary openings covered with fly mesh. Anyway, The structure is 12' x 12' and there will be a small pond in the centre. It wont be particularly large and will be raised slightly. There will be a very small current from one end but that is only to provide filtration (by very small, i mean water running down a small ridge and entering the pool. The greenhouse itself is heated but the pond is not so it should stay quite cool. I will put a trellis over the pond with a lot of climbers to shade it. Also large banana, alocasia and amorphophallus leaves should provide ample shade (as well as a greenhouse glass shade on the roof).

I am negotiating releasing some treefrogs inside but i would like some aquatic animals in the pond. I've always liked newts and axolotls but it seems that axies are not only easier to look after, they wont attempt to run away (even though the structure is sealed, i would rather keep them safely inside the pool). Xenopus frogs were an option but i understand they aren't as temperature tolerant as axies so all signs point to axolotls
happy.gif

Am i under a misconception that they are so tolerant and easy to keep? Do they require more care than i have time for (going out to the greenhouse every other day, sometimes only 2/3 times a week in winter). I'm fine about feeding live foods, they don't bother me and i should be getting some sort of insect with aquatic larvae to establish in the greenhouse so there will be a good stream of food coming in.

Does anyone have a pond like this already? any pointers? It will be partially raised and partially sunk but as naturalistic and well planted as i can make it.

Thanks for your help,

Hen

If by xenopus frogs you mean African Clawed frogs, the you've been misled. ACF tolerate a HUGE range of temperatures (I've definitely had mine at 27 C, the range might be higher, and down to 10 C) while axolotls don't. Axies MUST be kept under 22C. ACF are the low maintenance guys, not even needing filtration (they surface for their air).

I would be concerned about overheating the axies in the summer, which can be a lot of work to keep them cool or really expensive if you buy a chiller.

Plus there's the likelihood of getting a pair of male and female of axies, which means hundreds (like 700 a spawn) of babies. And babies are definitely harder to take care of, and it wouldn't be easy trying to re-house that many babies. (Someone on this board said it took 6 months to re-house 6 axies)

(Message edited by j4782 on January 22, 2006)

I have done something similar. I posted photos of the pond and axolotls here:
http://www.caudata.org/forum/messages/793/37223.html
http://www.caudata.org/people/JM/pond.html

The room is partly heated so it doesn't freeze in winter. In summer, the room AIR TEMP gets up to nearly 100F (37C) during the heat of the day. However, here in the mountains it always gets cool at night, down around 60F (15C). Because the soil of the pond is contiguous with the soil outdoors, the water in the pond stays a steady 70-72F (21-22C) in summer. Soil has amazing ability to stay cool even in the hottest weather.

Before deciding on axies, you may want to wait until summer and see how the temperature does. In my case, I added the axies in spring, but I had a back-up plan (a basement!) in case the pond got too hot. Happily, they were able to stay in the pond.

Yeah, I just toss the food in. They get live worms, either whole or cut up, plus whatever pill bugs I can catch in the greenhouse. I'm careful not to overfeed, as it would muck up the pond.

Wicked Jennifer,that is such a cool set up!!!
happy.gif

Your hard work has definately paid off.The plants make it look natural.Lucky axies!

Jen,
Very nice setup! I wish l could have something like that. I think i might just have to stick to a glass fish tank though LOL
It looks lovely!!

wow! thats so cool! if only i was allowed to take over the garden... ive already taken over the spare room and garage as well as my room...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back