Air diffuser & Undergravel Filter Question

J

jon

Hey,

I have a small question to ask about my tank set up. I have a small tank, with an undergravel filter, and was wandering if i need to keep the Air diffuser that is on the top of the filter canister above the water line or do i fill the tank above the Air diffuser so it is covered with water? I have filled the tank water about 1.inch below the Air diffuser at the moment, and air bubbles are coming out of the diffuser. Is this how it should be? I have 2 pictures here to view. Is the diffuser set up corectly in the photo's?

Other than that, the air is being pumped to the airstone and coming up the filter canister.

Any help would be great, as im not sure how these types of tank's should be working.

Jon

52124.jpg

52125.jpg

(Message edited by jennewt on January 20, 2006)

Get rid of the undergravel filter. In the end, I found mine to be a huge waste of money, and it made cleaning harder, not easier. The poo just collects under the plate, and you have to dismantle the tank to clean it out.

If you're really desperate to keep it, I always kept the water about an inch over the diffuser. You can always scrape the plate and just keep the airstone.

As a side note, if you're keeping an axolotl in the tank, you should introduce a hiding spot. They can get very stressed if they don't have anywhere to hide. PVC plumbing tubes make great hides. You can connect two or three and make a nice tunnel for under $1.

Thank's for that info. I was going to buy a small, fake log as a hiding spot, but the pvc pipe sound's great to me.

Take care

Jon

ps- i will email some pic's of the tank when i have finished setting it up. I only have one teenage sized axy,bout 9cm long, so it's ok for him in there i feel.

should be ok, i feel a bit wary about the gravel though-ill bet your axie could eat it if he got the 'urge'.

there was a post a while back about some people who made some really cool pvc caves. they coverd the tube in black aquarium safe silcion and stuck a whole heap of rocks to it- looked awesome. might be something a bit more creative to consider?

Regarding undergravel filters, opinions vary. I don't like them much, but the former moderator, Mik, was convinced that they are the best filter for axies. It really depends on how you maintain them.

First off, you MUST raise the water level until it is above the top of the tube. The whole u/g filter system is completely non-functional unless the water level is above the top of that tube. If you want the water level the way it is, then you need to cut off the top couple of inches of the tube. You do NOT need the diffuser at all, it's really optional.

Hopefully this tank is for just one axolotl?

I think the best way to use undergravel filters is with a reverse flow kit. I don't use u.g. filters anymore. I don't use gravel or sand. It's just one more thing to get dirty.

Jon, how many gallons is your tank?
Michael, ...so you just have a bare glass bottom?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back