Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Hey Rheann i finished making my tank !!! Have a look

S

stipe

Hey Rheann i finaly finished my tank, well almost, the silcon is still curing and setting so i'll leave it for seven days then im going to check for leaks. Also i have to put some frams at the top and corners to full proof it. Im making an acrylic tank, 100x stronger, shatter proof, 50% lighter and 100x cheaper. Guess how much it cost me.......... a big fat $0, yeh thats right i got a nice sheet of perspex from my dads work and cut it out with a good power saw and assembled it on aluminum frams
happy.gif
, what colour should i spray the frames??

After all that its time to fill it up and decorat it, and then.... Puit my axies in!!!!
happy.gif
happy.gif
happy.gif

50815.jpg

50816.jpg

50817.jpg

Th tank is about 3.7x1.5 foot so its HUGE!. Also the perspex is 10mm thick.

A

alex

wow, nice tank stipe. looks like you and your dad did a really good job. your so lucky to get a tank that size for free!. remember you got to cycle it though.
happy.gif

R

rheann

Oh my gosh, Stipe, that is amazing! Great job!!! I wish I could have made my tank, yours is just beautiful
happy.gif

Might I suggest painting the frame black or your favorite color? Mine are black, and they look great because they match with everything lol. You want to pick a color that will will blend in with the rest of the house, but not draw attention away from the tank to the frames. I would think black would be best.

Your tank is the same length as mine, but yours is taller and wider lol. It looks to me as though you could fit possibly... 7 or 8 axolotls in there. How many do you plan to have total?

What type of theme will you go with? If you get natural plants, tall ones will look outstanding in the back. I have had great success with fox tail. It spreads so fast, and gets really tall and bushy. I haven't had the funds or the time to plant anything else than what I already had in there.

If you put in drift wood, I would go with something fake and natural looking, rather than real. Real driftwood will cloud the water, and also break down over time, which is really yucky when it starts to smell.

I bet you are so proud
happy.gif
Great job, I really look forward to seeing the finished version
happy.gif

S

stipe

I know thats both of you, i love the tank too
happy.gif

Im going for the natural look Rheann, tall plants and the back shorter in the middle and shortest at the back. Im going to make it a chrome colour as you can see from the paint can in the pictuer but im not tossing it over with black. Its going to have the black sand fro mmy old tank
happy.gif
with about 6 axies including squidy adn mala
happy.gif

Thanks ffor the comments

R

rob

looks great Stripe
happy.gif
what a satisfaction of making some thing like that ur self and for bugger all its even better
happy.gif
are u going to put some kind of brace in the middle ? cause thats a big tank and alot of water.. be nice to see the final product when ur finished
happy.gif

S

stipe

Im going to ad frames all the way down the corners and a brace at the top, as i said its almost done.

Also about cycling...do i really need to? im anyway using all the water from my old tank, its substrate, plants etc and all im doing is addign extra water to fill it up, so do i need to?

(Message edited by stipe on December 30, 2005)

R

rob

just trying to help m8
if u dont want it i will no longer bother replying to u ! u said nothing about bracing, just frames which to me mean angle or some thing...
good luck to u......................

A

alex

hey stipe, you wont need to cycle as long as u are using all the stuff from ur cycled tank. as long as its not been cleaned, you want the bacteria to still be alive.

are you going to buy a new filter since the tanks bigger?. if so use the same filter wool/cartridge that u have in your current filter, as the filter wool holds a lot of the bacteria.

R

rheann

Stipe, I would Recommend getting a Canister filter for a big tank like that.

Since you are adding your old water, you really won't need to cycle. You might want to wait just a week though just to be on the safe side and test again. When I set up my new tank, I threw out all the old water because it had Hydra in it. While my axies were in buckets, I added their waste every few days to the tank and my tank cycled so fast! It was wonderful
happy.gif

Rena is a wonderful canister brand. It is the brand that I have, for 75 gallons. I would suggest trying to possibly go with the biggest model since your tank is so big lol. Mine is up to 75 gallons, and I have a 60 gallon tank.

S

stipe

LOl, sorry rob ,i said i was going to put a brace at the top to hold it together
happy.gif

I was looking at rena canister filters today there are some big ones for $150au so its god.

SOunds good Rheann, but would i bigger tank take longer to cycle?

T

theresa

Wow Stipe,
What a great job! you should be very proud. if it were me, with an acryllic tank, i would not paint the edges.... To me, that is one of the nice bonuses of having one. 9too expensive here in the states, but very desirable. 1 you have clear viewing from all angles. they don't have a dark edge to spoil the illusion. how many gallons is your tank ? Wonderful! Personally, I like having real driftwood. my Henry seems to really like it. i got it from the lfs and just boiled each end, then rinsed. No clouding at all.

andrew

Reaction score
Congrats on finishing your tank. Don't scratch it now. lol.

Great idea to make your own tank. I think allot more people should do it. You will have to make a custom stand and hutch for it now.

You shouldn't have too much trouble getting it to re-cyle. If you are going to buy a new filter an external cannister would be a great choice.

If you check out ebay or any weekend markets you can pick up a good one for about $100. I bought a Jebo 815 and it has been absolutely fantastic.

Hey you wouldn't know what a sheet of perspex like that costs at all?

C

charlotte

*is bloody jealous*

0$ dollars you say?!
shocked.gif
farrrr.....that's a nice looking tank you're, going to have some real fun with it.
happy.gif

R

rheann

Hey Stipe, I don't it will take too much longer. by big one took a lot less than my smaller one did lol. If you use the water from your previous tank, then wait a week and test, the cycling might already be done, and if it is not, just add a bit more waste and that should do the trick
happy.gif

S

sin

Stipe that's damn fantastic, it's one thing to buy something but a totally different one to make something up according to your imagination. Congrats!

R

rheann

Stipe, what type of background will you put on it? Will you make your own? Someone suggested to me to pain the back of my tank with bright colors, but I decided to go against it and get a printed background. However, I wish that I would have gone with a blue background instead. Blue brings out the bright green in the plants.

I'm getting excited to see your finished project
happy.gif
. Good luck!

S

stipe

im buying one ofthose rock backgroudns from a shop and siliconign it to the back (looks and feels liek real rock
happy.gif
)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1