Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Stunting Growth

R

rory

Can Axolotls be stunted by growing up in a small tank because my tank is rather small and the Axolotl seems t bedoing fine although he is very small....

A

alex

hi rory, i think that the axolotl will just grow to full size and be very stressed. i think its allright to have the tank size in proportion to the axolotl size, so as the axie grows bigger you get a bigger tank.

R

rory

But what about the 12 in rule i have a 12in x 10in x 11 in tank will the axie be okay

A

alex

umm iv never heard of the 12 inch rule. in my opinion 12 inches is far to small, id have one axie in at least a 1 foot tank.

R

rory

Oh and how would i cool down my tank it is currently 20 with no heater it is near a window but the curain is always closed and the window gives a breeze

A

alex

you could have a fan blowing over the water, or fill a bottle with water freeze it and put it in the tank. 20 is not a bad temperature. but if it gets over 21-22 then you should try keep the temp down.

R

rory

Oh well this site says not to let it o over 18 dgrees so 20 is ok cool
I will keep the temp down i'm trying for aroun 18-20 Thanks

A

alex

no problem, its always best to keep the temp down, the higher the temp the more likly your axolotl will get a desiese.

A

alex

lol sorry im contridicting myself. one axie in a 2 foot tank, for every new axie added add one foot. does that make sense?

andrew

Reaction score
As far as temperature goes i believe 24 is their maximum temperature according to www.Axolotl.org although they can withstand hotter for short periods (not recommended though).

Their temperature tolerance may vary upon what part of the world you are from. Tap water in australia in hotter than 20C in summer, and the only way to combat 35C days is a tank chiller however they are very expensive (as you can imagine very few people have one).

Lots of people merely have fans blowing across the top of their tanks, even with this the temperatures are much higher than recommended (yet they still live).

Mine at the moment is running at 20-21C (with aid of a chiller) and with such a difference between outside and tank temperature i have quite a problem on my hands with condensation.

R

rory

Well i have been using Metal water bottles floating in a net so the axolotl doesn't even think about biting the bottl (Just Incase.)
I am only 14 and do not earn the income to even think about buying a chiller

R

rob

i have 2 x 120mm computer case fans blowing across the top of the water in my quarantine tank 60lt
today our temp "in the shade" got too a whopping 43c
and the tank is sitting on 22.7c
happy.gif
the house is aircond but not that room !
i'm sure ur parents can rig something safe up for u...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1