External filter and sand

S

sarah

Im looking into purchasing sand for my babies but, will the pump suck up the sand and clog up?

I have a filter that hangs on the back of the tank. I have sand. I took a small filter sponge (aquaclear and cut an X into it. then I slide the sponge over the intake tube of the filter and make sure the tube is about 2 or 3 inches above the sand.noproblems. i think sand is the way to go.
just how I did it. also do this on my fish tanks.

i have an external cannister filter "Fluval 304"
it's pretty grunty and i have very fine sand but have no problems with the pump sucking up sand, it's about 3" off the bottom...

Thanks guys
happy.gif

Rob, what kind of sand do you have, and where did u get it from?

Hi Sarah.
i have washed playpit sand "it's very fine"
i got it from Mitre 10, it came in a clear bag with some writing on it and cost about $5 for 20-25Kg
make sure u wash it also b4 adding it to ur tank...

there's a photo in the axie gallery section
under "finished cycling" it's so fine my axies leave footprints
happy.gif

(Message edited by KharmaKazi on December 23, 2005)

Thank-you so much for the info, but i think mitre 10 closed up here lol. Or could they be bunnings now????

no probs
happy.gif

as far as i know Bunnings and Mitre 10 are completely different companies unless theres been a take over recently ? but i very much doubt it.
any bigger hardware store should sell it
happy.gif

do u have Banner h/w ?

ummm dont know about banner h/w...
What happend is all the miter 10 stores started to disappear and all these bunnings stores started to pop up, so i just assumed bunnings took over.

awww all the vic stores are faraway!
the closest one is 40 mins away LOL.
Ill try bunnings or a garden shop, or maybe even kmart!

lol i got my sand from bunnings warehouse, its called builders sand. i have a internal filter thats pretty powerful and it seems to be fine with the sand, its about 2 cm away from the sand.

I purchased the washed playpit sand, but i went to rinse it out so i know its clean, and the water went brown and stank like clay,! ive washed the sand like 10 times and it still wont come clean!!!
I dont know what to do!

boil it and bake it, i had to wash mine under boiling water for ages, also u could put it in a pillow case, and use that like a siv and just keep water flowing through it untill it runs clear. good luck and merry x-mas!

Ill try the pillowcase option...thank-you for the idea
happy.gif
Merry xmas

Boiling and baking won't help clean it. Just keep rinsing. I washed mine (heavier pool filter sand) in a bucket under continuously running water with continuous stirring for 10 minutes. It takes forever, but it's worth it.

Pillowcase didnt work
sad.gif

Not matter how much i wash it, its not getting any cleaner
sad.gif

I think i was givin the wrong sand

What about washed beach sand??? or would that make the water too salty?

I have put river rocks insted, as i was givin the wrong sand, and now i cant return it.
I cant afford to buy more sand atm, so mum bought the river rocks as a late xmas present for my babies.
But thanks to everyone who helped me
happy.gif

I will change to sand later on when i can afford it.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back