Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

My planted tank!

S

stipe

Hey guys,

I just cleaned and washed my whole tank 2 days ago because i didnt wash the subsrtat completly clean last time. Its been cycling for 2 days now and i decided to plant it. Heres a picture i took today.
47656.jpg

I havnt put any hiding spots in yet that'l come later as the log i had is in the washing tub with my axies.
happy.gif
I also added two snails to the tank. In the pet shop they're call Mystery yellow snail or sumthing but i think its a apple snail. Heres some pics.
47657.jpg

47658.jpg

47659.jpg

Id like to here your feed back
happy.gif

R

rheann

Stipe - It looks very nice, the purple and green plant is so pretty! What type is it?

Also, I think that is a Mystery snail. Apple Snails are a bit more roundish.

Your axies will be very happy in the new set-up it is very colorful and full of hiding places.
frog.gif

S

stipe

i know, they'love it. The pupulish plant is my favorite two but sorry i dont know what type it is. Thanks for the advice.

R

rob

looks very nice, also like the gravel
i would love to have real plants, but i'm out of plugs for the light needed lol

M

maja

looks good..
proud.gif
but you could need some more plants !! always more plants :D hehe.. love them.. good luck with ur snails..
pirate.gif

S

stipe

lol thanks. I would love some more plants but hardly enought room for my axies to just swim around so unfortuantly i cant.

J

jordan

I heard that having real plants while you cycle is bad, because the plants will probably die or something.

J

jennifer

Stipe, that fluorescent lamp perched over the tank makes me VERY uncomfortable. You could seriously electrocute both the axolotls and yourself that way!

Plants are good for the cycling process because they usually bring good bacteria with them, and they help consume excess ammonia. However, they may do poorly at first because there aren't yet enough nutrients for them. If any parts start to die, remove the plant so it doesn't decay.

R

rheann

Stipe, Jennifer is right! I thought it was a book or something else.

If you get a tank cover with glass on it that will protect the light from getting wet and fall in.

when I was a kid I had a 10 gallon tank with some tropical fish. I didn't have a glass cover or anything. One day my brother was helping me clean the tank and he was lifting the light off. Well, he dropped the light into the water while it was plugged in and on. We were both so lucky because for some reason it didn't shock the water, I have no idea to this day why it didn't other than maybe somebody up in the great beyond was looking out for us
love.gif
and my little fish.

I was able to unplug the light and no one got hurt. Very scary what happened.

A

apryl

Eek Rheann! Scary story!!
Nice tank Stipe,looking forward to seeing pics of your axies in there!
My local petshop has that purple plant too,but most are manky so I havnt got 1 yet,I will ask what it is if no one can answer on here

J

jordan

That light is definitely not a good thing, rheann was lucky, but i wouldn't take that chance.

S

stipe

Hey guys, thanks for the feed back. The light was like that for only about 3 hours because i broke my old glass top (stepped on it while i was cleaning
sad.gif
). But a few hours after it broke he cut me a new one, so all is fine and dandy
happy.gif

The plants i hope wont die becuase i put in plant food tablets in the gravel adn also liquid suplaments in the water like extra iron etc.(plant food)

Is anything wrong with mixing plant food and axies??

thanks, stipe.

S

sk8er

No. there shouldnt be anything wrong with adding supplements to the tank for your plants as long as your fish arent in there at the time or less then 24 hours

J

joan

Stipe, most of the time, your axolotls will provide enough nutrition for the plants. Adding additional suppliments can be bad for your axolotls, as some of them can be pretty toxic. Remember, fish have scales, axolotls do not. They absorb everything in the water directly into their skin.

T

theresa

just wondering how big your tank is in gallons?
I'm about to start my first tank with plants. Can't wait!

M

maja

Its ok to have plants in ur tank when ur cycling. The plants take some of the ammonia.. i think its was what they did.. but they take some of the bad things in the water..
happy.gif

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1