Is my filter okay for an axolotl?

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Michael Shrom
I've been setting up the tank and having the water run for about 2 weeks now and I'm ready to buy my axolotl I think. But, the filter I bought just drops the water down like alittle waterfall, so I know thats not good for them. So, I was trying to make a like ramp to gently get the water to flow. I used this plastic container to try to isolate it, but I'm afraid that the water flow isn't that great with it like this. My other idea was to use suction cups and that plastic thing to try to angle the water towards the corner so the water isn't as harsh. Any opinions? Thanks

50161.jpg

two weeks is probably not long enough to cycle your tank unless you are using established filters or substrate.
your filter is fine, its the same as mine, theyre called Hang on Back filters (HOB's). depending on the size of your tank it should be fine as these create little water movement if its trickling gently. i have can have my filter (880L) running full blast and it doesnt do anything unless they are sitting right under it.
what size tank do you have and how many lph does your filter do?

it is a whisper filter
http://www.tetra-fish.com/Catalog/product.aspx?id=566
The tank is 20 gallons I think, but it isn't filled all the way, obviously. Site says it does 125 gallons/hour. I just didn't know if that plastic thing I'm using to prevent the creature from getting to the waterflow was neccessary, or if it would even work.

your doing 6.25 time your tank per hour. you really have to make up your own judgements to whether it is too strong. you can always turn it down? if they are sitting at the other end of the tank and their gills are flying all over the place its too strong.
does your water fall into the plastic thing and flow over that? you could always drill holes in the plastic thing? probably just easier to turn it down lol

i reakon that looks fine, IMO i would raise the water level but that doesnt really matter to much. i used to have a filter like that, a method i follow, if the axies gills arnt moving in the current its fine. i think the higher the water level the higher the filter, the further away the filter is from the axolotl= less current.

yip good point alex. it also has less distance to build up force before it hits the water making less movement

For overhang filters, if you can spread out the output, it makes it less 'battering' on the axolotl. You could attach a small bowl just under the outflow, which the water would collect in and overflow. Personally, after using other filters, I'm not a huge fan of the hang-on filters. Anyone with a tank bigger than 20 gallons should really invest in a canister filter.

I'd also raise the water level. Especially if you only have a 20 gallon tank.

Have you read www.axolotl.org yet? If not, that's a great place to start with all your axolotl questions.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back