Is it cruel?

C

cake

Of course I want the best for my axolotl but I haven't very much equipment and I want to know if the conditions I'm keeping him in are ok and if you could advise me on new equipment I need to get for him:

1:No gravel or stones (I tried smooth stones but they kept getting dirty and I don't know how to keep the gravel do I have to clean it all the time?)

2:A smallish tank (I would love to buy or make him a larger one which I am working on. His current one is about 40cm long 30 cm high and the width is 30cm too and that's just a guess it could be bigger...)

3:A small sponge filter for small tanks

4: He's in a location where he can see lots of things going on if axolotls like that.

I'm such a newbie.
sad.gif
I've read lots on axolotls but they don't actually give much info on them.

(Message edited by cake on December 15, 2005)

1. Bare bottom is fine. NO gravel! They can ingest gravel and get an impaction, which can lead to death. Large stones are hard to keep clean; you have to use a siphon to clean between them. Most of us here prefer sand or bare bottoms.

2. That size tank is small, but adequate for short term or for a fairly small axolotl. A 60cm tank would be good for one adult axolotl because it gives you more room to do decoration and place filters and airstones and such.

3. Sponge filters are fine, but they only grow bacteria that clean the water. They do not remove debris from the water. If you're not using a suction filter, you'll need to do that by hand with either a siphon, gravel cleaner, or a turkey baster.

4. As long as he has places to hide, where he can get away from the 'activity' and be alone, then keeping it in a high traffic area is okay.

Have you been to www.axolotl.org yet? If not, I think that's a good place to get lots of information! If you have any questions, don't hesitate to post them here. I think I speak for everybody when I say that we really love answering questions and making sure everyone has the best care for their axolotls.

Thankyou so much.
happy.gif

My axolotl died this morning but they do die unfortunatly but I will certainly not stop my passion for the litte things.
happy.gif

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back