Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Filter too strong

sherrisixxx

Reaction score
My old filter broke, so I went to buy a new one. Told the sales lady it's for 1 axo and 1 pleco. BUT, the filter is much too strong. I've only had it 4 days and Axelina's horns are already turning forwards slightly. I understand this is a symptom of too strong filter. I turned the filter sideways, so it's not blowing all over as much, but that don't seem to be enough. Is there anything I can do apart from buying a new filter? I can't obviously take this one back, as I have used it, so it would have been a total waste of money. And am not that rich,huh.

andrew

Reaction score
I would try to baffle the output somehow. It depends on what type of filter it is though.

Most internal filters have some sort of round outlet. You can normally fit some sort of baffle or sparay bar to this. I have attatched a picture of one i made for a filter ages ago to give you a few ideas. (its made from 16mm PVC electrical conduit)

49620.jpg

If this dosn't help i would suggest doing a search on this forum for "baffles" or "spray bars". This should return you a heap of old posts from people with similar problems.

sherrisixxx

Reaction score
Am totally useless in all these DIY things. (typical female,huh). I tried to put some ducktape to cover the thing where the water comes out at the strong volume (only leaving the small hole open for the water to come out from). Hmm, this worked for 2 days, until the ducktape came off. Is there anything stronger I could use to block it?? Many thanks

andrew

Reaction score
You could glue a baffle or partially block the outlet with aquarium silicone.

Don't buy aquarium silicone from a pet store though (too dear). Any hardware store should stock it. I use selly's Glass (recommended for aquarium use) it is only like $10 for a large tube.

R

rob

u could try filter foam to partially block off the output nozzle but not too much or it will cause too much strain on ur filter, not really recommended,
but better than duct tape
happy.gif

J

joan

Depending on your filter type, you could take a large piece of coarse foam and support it UNDER the filter outflow, so the water flows over the top of the foam, and trickles through it.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1