Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

I need help making a spray bar for an external filter

J

jojo

hey guys,
im going away soon for 3 weeks (to fiji - WOOOHOO) and there is absolutely no way i can leave without making this spray bar, so any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

I, not long ago, bought an external filter. I love it to bits - its great, works great and looks fantastic. The problem is though, the only way that there isnt too much water disturbance is if the water level it as high as the filter (given that it POURS out of the filter) - this isnt a problem in a smaller tank (a have a approx 60Litre at the moment while my 3ft tank is cycling) but i rather a spray bar for the bigger tank anyhow!
I desperately need to make a spray bar because l dont want to have the water level as high as he filter in this ft tank - i will if i have to but as l mentioned above i want a spray bar for this bigger tank anyhow.

I was thinking... maybe some kind a pvc-like piping.
Id cut half of the pip out where the water flows out of the filter, obviously the pipe would be parallel to the floor, sitting horizontally. I could drill holes in the bottom of the pipe so it would flow into the cut out end of the pipe and pour out the drilled holes ??? I dont kno whether this would work, im not great with stuff like this
uhoh.gif

Obviously the other end of the pipe would be blocked off.

Even if this does work... the bit im stumped here.. how the hell am l going to find something sturdy enough to hold the pipe in place ontop of the tank???

Any suggestions as l said would be greatly appreciated. I didnt think about the water movement before (despite l kno that minimal water movement is the best) and time unfortunately is NOT on my side

Rob - this is what i was talking about in your updated tank post

Thanks all
jojo

R

rob

Hi Jojo
this was a thread i started a little while a go that shows how i made mine "very easy"
http://www.caudata.org/forum/messages/793/47600.html?1131593414
"but" to be honest i ended up buying one in the end
happy.gif
was only about $15 and came with all the fittings/suction caps etc... "looks much nicer"
mine was a fluval one but ur aquarium shop should have a few choices, if u have the money ur probably better off buying one
happy.gif
cause it comes with every thing to mount it etc...
i also use a valve on my filter to slow the output a little too, otherwise it's way to powerful and i also point the spraybar onto the glass pointing upwards..
hope it helps
happy.gif

J

jojo

Thanks ROb!
And yeh i did see the other thread a while ago LOL
i dont kno why it didnt click to me when i created that thread!
i try not to post or create threads if there is info or questions already posted previously, but i didnt think about the thread you made a while ago HA

I have thought that l should just buy one but i havent seen any (havent asked though)of them in petshops, not for external "hang over" filters.
Are you sure that hey have them for the hang over ones? l just cant picture how they would work or be attached/put together for the hang over external filters.

R

rob

sorry i thought u were talking "external"
cannister filter, iv'e never used a external hang over filter so not sure...

J

jojo

no no no its a hang over filter.
Im not sure either... going shopping today. I'll see what l find.

S

sharn

you could silcone a sort of tray under the bit that the water flows over and drill holes in that?

al

Reaction score
I've used hang over type "waterfall" filters when I first start out keeping. Back then, cannister filters were pricey and my wallet could not afford much. I used various setup designs like Sharn mentioned. I would place the filter in the middle of the tank and place a large stone under it that jetted out of the water. I then fastened a long piece of slate under the filter mouth (water outlet) and propped it on the rock. You can use silicone to prevent slipping. It works fine if you find the right rock and slate sizes. It's less noisy and does not cause too much turbulence. I used 3 of these filters for a couple of years. I also used a clear flexible plastic sheeting that was cut the size of the filter mouth (4 inches) and arched it onto the large stone. The stones I chose where tall and had a stable base so it would not tip and crush the newts. The plastic also worked like a charm.
Two problems with this setup, are first is blocking the opening where the filter comes in to prevent escaping (duct tape worked fine) and second you need to use the extension tubing that typically comes with most brands to be able to draw up the water in half to 3/4th filled tanks. These filters may not come back on if you have a power outage. I tried to use them in tanks that the water level was 75% full. It seems you have more problems with half full tanks. I used gravel back then and had to do frequent water changes/cleaning. I now do not use gravel and like cannister filters or sponge filters. I rig an air stone inside the sponge filter to give it more suction and have better results.
Good luck

J

jojo

Thanks for the suggestions Sharn and Al!

Because this quite a deep tank l thought that l could have trouble with the suction hose on the filter - but all is good. ive just bought this filter (well.. it was bought for me) which is why l am not buying another just yet. Canister filter will be my next purchase
happy.gif

I have thought about a rock, but havent found a suitable one.
I've already set up that pvc piping and it works well too. Im very proud of it
happy.gif

Thanks again all for your help!!!!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1