Questions about cleaning the Rena Filter

R

rheann

Hi 'Yall, ok, just wondering some stuff about the Rena Canister Filter I just got.

I will get the bio rings for it and some carbon, that stuff is spiffy and will help with the media.

I need to know what steps I should take to clean it when it comes down to it and how often.

Also, if the cord gets accidentally unplugged, will it ruin the filter? I have two cats that like to play a lot, and one is still an kitten and can fit behind the couch. I've tried to block off the back of the couch with cardboard, but she can still get back there. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Hey Rheann,
As far as i know the rena canister filter has a filtration basket where waste gets left in so you could just clean that. Or i think they come with disposable bags.

Umm... if that wasnt detailed enought ( i know it wasnt, lol) i found a website for you that gives step by step instructions. http://www.aquariumpharm.com/filtermaint.html

hope i was any hel for a change,
happy.gif
happy.gif
happy.gif
happy.gif

Also, if the cord gets accidentally unplugged, will it ruin the filter? I have two cats that like to play a lot, and one is still an kitten and can fit behind the couch. I've tried to block off the back of the couch with cardboard, but she can still get back there. Any suggestions? <font color="0000ff">

i'm guessing u mean the power cord ?
i wont matter one bit, just means ur filter wont be operating but ur filter will still have water in it so i can see no problems....
as for the kitten, i once saw a bumper sticker saying "neighbour hood cats make great hats"
only a joke "i love animals"
happy.gif
</font>

If i can remember corectly, as long as there is still water in that type of filter its no problem but sumthing aobut some quik reset valve must be pressed, i cant remember quite corectly.

Hey, thanks so much you guys, that was so helpful! I read the instructions, but really wasn't sure about them, and also about the cord accidentally being unplugged.

I don't have any ink in my printer at the moment, so I'll book mark the instructions. Thanks again so much guys
happy.gif

I have been savagely protecting the back of the couch from the cats. I have had to result in putting my kitten Bijou under a laundry basket for a few minutes to calm her down enough. It's her "Time out Corner" so to speak lol. Silly thing, she's always trying to get behind the couch.

ahahaha, mabey theres a mouse there, hehe. Im glad to help, so it was nothing,
happy.gif

I think the biggest problem you'd have is having to reprime the filter if it gets unplugged.

Hey, thanks Joan
happy.gif

Yes, that does pose a problem lol. It's sort of annoying doing it, but I don't mind too much because I love my Axies
angel.gif

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back