Active carbon

S

stipe

Hey guys,
I was just wondering about your opinions about active carbon in the filters.

I've heard that active carbon is really good as it kills alot od bad things nutrilised all amonia, nitrate and nitrite, Buy i also heard that it kills all treatment you put inside the tank as well.

What do you think? godd or bad?.

kind regards, stipe.

I use carbon in most of my filters, although I don't replace it as often as it says to. I don't know the validity of the claim that it neutralizes ammonia, nitrites and nitrates. I don't think that's true. It does break down medication that you put in your tank, but you should probably not medicate a whole tank anyway. A hospital tank is easier to control, and easier to clean, and easier to remove the axolotl from excess medication.

Stipe - I use activated carbon in all my aquariums. What it does do is remove the odor and help keep the water clear.

It will remove most medications that you add to the tank (if the carbon is fresh enough), but since adding medication to an axolotl tank is rare (or at least should be) you just stop using carbon when you are treating with medication. Or as Joan mentioned use a hospital tank for that.

Carbon does not remove salt so keep that in mind.

I vote GOOD!

ok thanks alot. Would it also kill the treatments you put in to kill chlorine and nutrilize amonia etc?

i like to advise against using carbon for newbies for the simple fact that it masks problems ie ammonia and they need to learn about husbandry and the tell tale signs of a sick tank etc, but for experienced fish keepers its fine, im thinking of using it in my oscar tank because man those fish poop and its starting to create a stink in the summer even with weekly gravel siphons.

Stipe - " Would it also kill the treatments you put in to kill chlorine and nutrilize amonia etc?

No. But I would advise to be careful with products that "lock" ammonia, the continued use of a product like that in a new tank could create problems with the tank developing enough good bacteria to handle the waste from the animals in the tank.

I am going to sound like a commercial here but I only use black diamond carbon now. I find it does last longer than other brands. I wait until I see it on sale at http://www.bigalsonline.com and stock up on it.

Sharn - I haven't found that black carbon has a lot of effect on ammonia, the carbon that contains the "white" ammonia-neutralizing crystals does however work fairly well at removing ammonia.
http://www.marineland.com/products/consumer/con_diamond.asp

disclaimer: the message above was unsolicited and the poster of this message was not compensated for her endorsement
happy.gif

Haha that last bit is funny. I bet you wish you had been compensated for it.
lol.gif
lol.gif

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back