Help with RENA Filstar XP 2 Canister Filter

R

rheann

Ok, I got my filter in the mail today! It just came, I am very happy
happy.gif

I read through the instructions, I took the filter and all of its parts out of the box but I haven't set it up yet.

It's a RENA Filstar XP 2 Canister Filter. I finally see this spray bar that Joan was talking about so I don't need to worry about fixing up a sprinkler one
happy.gif

I have some questions,

1) do I need to get the Bio-Chem. Stars and the Keramikringe? It says in the book that they are not necessary, but I would like to make sure, and if they will help my aquarium I will be sure to get some. I would like to know what they do to help my tank better. According to the book the Ceramic rings encourage Bacterial growth, and the stars it says in the book work 20 times better than the rings.

2)Is there anything specific that the book doesn't mention that I should do? I want to be really careful with it, it was expensive.

Joan - if you read this can you explain the carbon in the panty-hose to me? Do I take all the carbon out of the soft cloth bag and put it into the panty-hose, or do I just take it out of the plastic bag and put the cloth bag with the carbon inside in Panty-hose? It's very confusing for me lol.

I don't have a stand yet for my aquarium. I'm going to have to try and get a table or something. I know that this filter needs to be below the tank in order to work.

I'll see if I get time to go out and get the sand today. I also have to make sure the filter works properly.

Anything else I should know about this filter? Oh I am so excited to hook it up!
happy.gif

Link to my filter:

http://bigalsonline.com/catalog/product.xml?product_id=22035;category_id=1711;pcid1=2885;pcid2=

i don't know anything about the filter, but its good to hear you got it!

About the rings and the stars, how much would I need of both and I never have to remove them?

Yes, Jordan, I am very happy about it
happy.gif

My husband just got in the door and he's like "It's Huuge!"

It didn't come with the biochem rings? Mine are little ceramic cylinders. These are what your bacteria will grow on. I filled up the bottom of the canister filter with them, and added a few on top for good measure.

Mine came with a bag of carbon, a cloth bag maybe 5x5 inches (use this first). Well, because you should replace the carbon once a month or so (should, but I don't!), and I'm far too cheap to buy replacement stuff, I buy carbon in bulk and make bags of carbon out of pantyhose as replacement bags of carbon. You can use the same pair quite a bit. Fill the toe and tie it off. Then the next month, use the other toe. Then, tie a knot in the open end, and fill it up and tie another knot. It's not pretty, but it's functional.

Feel free to take liberties on the order you put in your media. I reorganized mine to what was in the book. They said carbon should go on bottom, and then course and fine filter pads, and then the biorings. I put the biorings on the bottom, then course and fine pads, then the carbon. Rearrange it however you see fit.

Thanks so much Joan
happy.gif

Nope, it didn't come with the Ceramic rings. I'll have to get some. I think I'll follow what the book says about the parts in the inside until I can get comfortable with this filter.

I'll have to wait until Monday or Tuesday to get my sand, and that's also when I'll get the stars and the Ceramic rings.

I'm more than willing to try the Pantihose method
happy.gif

I usually buy carbon in bulk too because I like to stuff in a bit extra carbon into the filter cartrages of my overhang filter, but I won't be using it anymore now lol. I think it will save me some money
happy.gif

The parts are amazing! I am just so excited to hook it all up. Now if I can just find a nice big table lol.

I'm looking in to the smaller version, the xp 1 I was wondering if u could or anywon for that matter, could tell me how well it preforms. That be great..

~John

47275.jpg

47276.jpg

47277.jpg

Jordan - My filter is for up to 75 Gallons in size
happy.gif
. Big filter as you can see from the second photo.

John - I have heard nothing but good things about the Rena Brand Filters. The smaller and larger models can be purchased online here:

www.bigalsonline.com

This is where I got mine. It has a pretty strong current but comes with a spray bra that baffles the flow pretty well. It's pretty short, but I think it' going to work anyway and if it doesn't I'll make a spray bar from Sprinkler parts (Rob's idea
happy.gif
). All of the rest of the parts are inside of it. They're little containers that hold the rest of the Media like Ceramic rings.

My tank is a 60 gallon tank and I have 6 Axolotls. Just enough room for all of them lol.

When I get my tank all set up I'll make sure to post some pictures
happy.gif
There is a good chance that I will be able to pick up my sand tomorrow rather than on Monday like I had thought.

John, I've got the XP1, and I HIGHLY recommend it. A fantastic filter all around. There's a thread on here somewhere that has a whole slew of banterings between Rheann and I about it if you search.

Rheann, I'm surprised that the xp2 isn't that much bigger than the xp1.

(Message edited by Joan on November 10, 2005)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back