Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Anyone know tried the moonlight light strips?

A

andrea

been to pick up a couple of testing kits today and came across a blue moonlight light and purchased it after speaking to the manager as an alternative to the brightness of a normal light apparently its designed for night time viewing and things like catfish etc come out instead of hiding away.... the man in the shop said it would be ideal for axies as its non intrusive. Its given my tank a proper blue moonlight look to it and is quite effective, although the red on the gills of my axies have turned a green colour in the blue light lol - they look like proper little sea monsters now hehe

S

shane

wow i havent heard of them, they sound pretty good though if they dont effect the axolotls. i hate turning on the light at night when everyone wants to look at them. lol. did you just get it from an aquarium?

A

andrea

They're by the company Interpet and its called Blue Moon Actinic - for night viewing and enhancing corals. On the back it says ideal for creating moonlight effect for night viewing to see elusive catfish and crustaceans, to enchance the beauty of the aquarium. It can also be used in marine aquariums when used with another light but wont go into that side. And yes bought it out the shop - was hanging on the shelves with all the others....

It is still a light but is much softer

Hope that helps

(Message edited by aep155 on September 12, 2005)

J

joan

If it's changing the color of the gills (from red to green), I would gather it has some sort of UV (blacklight-esque) properties. I would not use it. I've heard secondhand 'reports' that this could cause skin cancer or death by cell mutation of some sort. I'm not sure the value of these reports, but I don't take chances with my colony.

D

denise

i have a blue light on my tank but it is not a uv light. i just put a lamp on top of my tank and changed the bulb to a blue bulb that you can buy in the shop, the bulb came with 5 other colours, so every now and then i can change the colour but it doesnt affect my axie at all.

A

andrea

well i'm not leaving the light on hardly anyway but when i do turn the light on this one is softer so hopefully they'll be happier with that, as far as i can see it says nothing about blacklight - so i assume it's just the mix of the colours as the light is blue.

J

joan

'Blacklight' is just a term. Even if nothing is said about 'blacklight', it may very well be emitting UltraViolet rays.

A

aaron

I'm a little late on this, but I was just reading through the forums and found this thread.

All the moon lights are is a blue light. Imagine turning on a red light, everything looks red-is that giving off any harmful waveforms? NO, it's just the color of the light.

The greenish colored gills are just the effect of the blue light illuminating the gills. It is strictly an optical illusion.

(Message edited by Babamba on October 23, 2005)

J

jon

its alot cheaper to get blue cold cathode tubes insted as these are abouot £5 to buy single or the whole kit including transformer is about £10-£15 on ebay
ive used this on my aquariums for the last 2-3yrs and have never had a problem(apart from me breaking a tube that is
lol.gif
)
i now also use these on my axie tank and the results are amazing
45870.jpg

45871.jpg

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1