How do I remove ugly blue back on 40 gal Tank?

R

rheann

I feel lucky. Today I got a used 40 gallon long tank from my Husband's brother. It is in pretty good condition, but has a blue painted backing and the paint is very chipped. I haven't attempted yet to try and remove the rest of it, and I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions for me on how to remove this backing without damaging the tank its self? I wasn't planning getting such a big tank for a while, so I feel very lucky that my brother-n-law gave it to me for free. I still need to get a new filter, hood and hood light for the tank and substrate. If anyone has any suggestions for me as far as removing the ugly blue backing and good types of filters for a 40 gallon long tank, I would greatly appreciate it, thanks
artist.gif

I have a beautiful 40long that I keep 3 adult axolotls in (they're soon to be moved to a 55gal that I purchased).

I don't know anything about removing paint from glass, sorry. But...

I use the Rena Filstar xp1 for their tank, and I really like it so far. You can put the intake and the output on opposite sides of the tank, so you get more water turnover than with just a stationary filter.

Thanks Joan. I'll look into the filter. About the background, I wouldn't bother to try and remove it but it it is chipped and wouldn't look very good if I left it that way. Does anyone have any suggestions at all how I could remove it with out damaging the glass? I would really appreciate it.

What type of paint is it?? I would just try whatever u normally use to strip paint off things, as this won't hurt the glass, but just be careful of it around the corners/edges, as it might strip off the sealant too. (resealing large tanks is a pain in the neck, I can tell u!!)

Thank Rita
happy.gif
. I am not sure what type of paint it is. It is a light blue coloring that from over the years of wear and use has started to chip off. I think I will try a paint scraper, it might work. the glass is pretty scratched, so I am going to have to try Eric's method of scratch removal on the glass. I posted some pictures of the new tank under the title Cat fish.

oooh, very sharp O__O I'll try the razor blade method, thanks Jennifer
happy.gif
I hope to get this tank up and cycling in the next weeks/months to come ^__^

id try something blunt first as your bound to scratch with a blade
try a plastic kitchen scraper or even a cd case as if its cracked n flakey it'll probabley come off quite easy?
if not get a cheap plastic "stanley"utilty knife sraper they have a good angle and dont slip (like holding a blade in some pliers? ouch)
and be careful around the seals?
good luck
berny

Hey thanks again guys. What is Turpin Time? I think I have heard of this stuff before. Have no idea what it is lol.

Ah lol Turpentine, lol. Cleaning solution used to clean the dirt from Oil Paintings. Never used the stuff, I don't oil paint.

After much consideration and going over my budget a couple of times, I have decided that I am going to give up on trying to repair this old tank and get a new one, a tank with hood light, along with the filter and everything else separately.

We had some recent bills come up that prevented me from getting a new tank the last couple of months, but I think I can start saving now for it and by Christmas or the beginning of next year I might have it completely set up.

I appreciate everyone's help, but I just don't have the time or the space to try and sit down and repair this tank when it probably won't last me very many years anyway lol. I want to invest money into something that will last.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back