Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Tank cycling question

B

brett

I have 2 aquariums, aquarium 1 has fish and is quite large. aquarium 2 has the axy and is smaller.

The axy is growing and I want to move him to aquarium 1 and the fish to aquarium 2.

To avoid possible cross-contamination, I will move the water and gravel etc (have loads of buckets ready).

However I want to leave the filters in-place as aquarium 1 has a big filter and aquarium 2 has a smaller filter.

But, I cant swap the filter media because they are different sizes so I was going to buy new filer media.
Buy buying new media will that, in any way, cause me problems with tank cycling i.e. new media = no beneficial bacteria, so ineffective filtration for a time(how long?) and possibly a rise in nitrites etc?. I want to avoid cycling the aquariums if possible.

S

sharn

i dont see why it would be a problem to keep the filters as they are providing both your aquariums are disease free. do not wash the gravel as you move it as it contains good bacteria. when i moved my axies into their bigger tank i just transfered the water and stones, topped it up and it was all go. i would moniter it carefully though just incase you dont have enough bacteria and it needs to cycle a bit more. you could also put some ornaments etc you used in the tanks into the new one just to add a bit more good stuff just in case :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1