Pumps how strong should it be ?

L

liv

im getting a 3ft tank 260 litres and im wondering how strong the pump must be as not too create too much aeration or the other not enough please help!!!! thankyou

liv,

260 litres, that must be a massive tank. what are your measurements in cms.

i have a 140 litre tank an have a Sonic 9902 pump (cheap at $26.00) and run 2 air lines into my tank. i've placed regulators on the air lines as it was creating far to much aeration so i had to decrease the amount of air pumping into it (not to mention the noise of the bubbles rising to the surface).
also, you don't necessarily need the very big or long air stones as i have found the long ones (blue coloured stone) isn't all that great at producing very tiny bubbles. i personally think the grey air stones (which are less brittle) are very good for producing small bubbles.

peter.

i bought a pump today with my tank and the guy at the aquarium said i need another seperate pump to run airstones is that correct? im a bit unsure about those kind of things thanks for your help

you should be more concern with the filter for your tank, but an air pump , just try to buy one with a regulator, to reduce or increase the amount of air.

This might be a daft question, but what does an airstone do?

Does it just add more oxygen to the water?

Are they necessary or just a luxury thing for the axies?

Thanks

it isn´t necessary , but it helps to get more oxygen into the water. my axies aren´t coming for air from the top almost never

i have an unter ground filter at the moment and i just cut the air tube and put a double conecter thingy and ran another tube down to a air stone. c one pump can run 2 things. im also going to cut more places and add more connecters to airate the babies and brime shrimp

i have a hang on filter for mine and its on about 200lph (my tanks a four foot 125L tank. i know it sounds heaps but they normally stay down at each end and because the water goes on top it moves the upper water more than the lower water, even when theyre under it their gills dont move(the water fall doesnt go down that far below the surface). id suggest one of them, an added bonus is that it doesnt take up any room in your tank or make it look ugly

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back