Aqua One internal filter

D

deanna

Hi my names Deanna
I have 2 leucistic axolotls and i am just in the middle of getting another one.
There are a couple of questions that i need to ask and it wold be great if someone could help me. Q1 - At the moment i have a tank that is 70cm long x 32cm high x 35cm wide and i am not sure on how much that is in inches can somebody help me with that? Q2 - I also want to get a decent filter for my tank before i set it up and i was looking on trade me and there was a Aqua One 101F Maxi Internal Filter for only $23.95!! what a bargin. Would that be acceptable for a tank that size?? I will find out how many gallons are in my tank when i find out how to change cms to inches. Can anyone help me with my questions?

28x13x14 inches. That sounds like a around a 20 gallon (long). With some conversion (don't trust my math), I figure this filter will either be slightly on the small side, or just about adequate. If you have a good biological filter going, you don't have to use a filter that is made for the tank your size. By that I mean if you have enough bacteria growing on the substrate, and on your decorations and such, you can use a smaller filter. That's what I do.

thanks for that joan
I was reading on another thread that it is beter using an external filter than a internal filter is that true? Or does it not really matter.

It depends on your preferences. I just bought a canister filter for my axolotl tank (48 inch tank, 40 gallons, soon to be moved to a 55 gallon). I like it as far as filters go. It has a spray bar, so it's quieter than an overhang filter. Also, with an internal filter, you need to baffle the output so it doesn't cause much current. This stresses axolotls. I think it's all just a matter of preference. I have all 3 types of filters, and all have done well. I had the overhang in my axolotl tank for some time. It works great in that it has a biowheel for your beneficial bacteria. I have an internal filter in one newt tank, which creates a small current that they need. I like the canister filter because the intake is on one side of the tank and the output is on the other, so the water turns over more. They're more expensive, but I think in the long run it'll be worth it.

thanks joan im going to go and have a look tomorrow, see if i can get one from the pet store, a canister filter. how do you 'baffel the output' in an internal filter?

i was just looking on trademe and i found this freshwater test kit and i was just wondering if it would be ok to use to test the water conditions in my axies tank??
43351.jpg

Looks fine to me. It's got all the tests you want, at least.

To baffle the output, you have to be a little creative. I use a spraybar, but some people have built like... a spray bulb, where they took a large pill bottle and drilled holes into it and put it over the filter output.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back