Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Sand + water cloudness

P

paul

hey all, i am in the process of putting sand in my tank as a substrate, as i predicted the water is cloudy an i have read this will stay for a few days, are my axolotl and plants going to be able to be put in this cloudy water or will it affect them, as i have no where else to store them...

J

joan

You should wash the sand well before adding it. Mine went cloudy for a few minutes and cleared up. I would not put them into super-cloudy water. Put them in large bowls in the fridge if the water stays cloudy more than 2 hours or so. The plants shouldn't have a problem, as long as they still get what light they need.

P

paul

it has stayed cloudy for a day now, ive been told i can use a item called 'aqua clear', i cleaned the sand 5 times through an also boiled it

H

hayley-jane

Paul I washed my sand for a full hour, really thoroughly and it still took nearly 4 days to clear.

I keep my axie in a tub in the fridge until the tank was clear as it can't be good for them to breathe all that cloudiness in.

P

paul

thanks haley, just out of curioisty was it a milky cloudy colour

J

joan

It would be milky if your sand was white (like mine). Hayley has red sand, I believe.

I wouldn't use any chemicals for anything. Just let it settle, and keep the filter on.

P

paul

thanks joan, it is starting to settle and i think it may be all settled by tomorow in 24 hrs, im just concerned my axolotl will stir it all up an make it cloudy.

J

joan

It might make small clouds, but it wouldn't be able to stir up enough sand to make the whole tank cloudy again. What you could do is get a siphon and just suck up the 'dust' off the top, the really small stuff that's settled.

P

paul

i have put her in the tank and it is now 90 percent clear so thanks for all the help guys, it was worth the wait because now i know she cant die on ingesting gravel and also the tank looks alot nicer, ill post up pics soon...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1