I have exorcised the demons....

E

eric

I have exorcised the demons, my sand is clear.

I decided in the end to clean my sand again... but instead of baking it, I boiled it. I really think that was the problem: dirty sand I've noticed a greatly improved texture to the sand after this procedure. It is more soft than before and when you mix it with water, it almost immediately falls to the bottom of the container without clouding the water for more than a few seconds. During the boiling process, I noticed a darker sand that would float to the top, which I would then skim off. I also cooled the sand under the bathtub faucet and just let the water run over the top until it was clear (with the heavier sand remaining at the bottom of the container) Now all I have is the coarse sand and all the fine particles and impurities are removed. The sand feels wonderful! It's like sugar sand from Panama City Beach. I almost want to keep it for myself - warm sand feels great to stick your feet in.

Next step, since my tank is empty again is to re-clean the tank. My tank is second hand and has a light dusting of scratches across the sides. When it is full of water, you can just barely see them -but you do see them.

I've read many postings on this board and others that scratched glass is ruined. This is not the case. There is a product that will return any scratched glass to new. I have a friend in the glass sculpting industry. He makes truly awesome awards, trophies and sculptures out of glass and he uses a special silicate compound to buff away scratches. Even really deep scratches - like if someone took a peice of glass and carved as hard as the could into another peice.

He's going to give me some of this silicate and I'm going to buff the scratches off the tank. I will take photos for everyone to see the process - it's really pretty easy. I will also find out the brand name of this product and where you can buy it for anyone else who would like to de-scratch their tank. My friend told me it is pretty much a trade secret. They would rather sell glass than fix it. I am not sure if individuals can buy this stuff.

I have found anther product that proclaims to do the same. http://www.gtglass.com/scratchremoval.htm This is not the same stuff my friend gives me and I don't know if it works. The only reason I'm posting it is if I find out that you can't buy the stuff I'm using - you might want to try this as an alternative.

The stuff I use looks like orange-red sand with black specs - you mix it with water until it is a mud then you use an electric drill with a buffing pad (like you use to wax your car or polish marble) and just polish away. The trick is you have to keep moving. Don't stop moving the drill back and forth while it is spinning. If you do stop the silicate will create heat and it will break your glass. I have never broken any glass I've worked on with this stuff. It't really easy - if a bit messy. Do it outside and wear old clothes.

Anyway, that is next weekend... and maybe I will be able to build my Penguin Spraybar mod too. Later....

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back